Changing out both front cv half shafts

Macrow

So I have read through some of the other threads on changing out the cv shafts & just want to make sure I get it done right. I have a 1992 Se Automatic Pathfinder with warn manual locking hubs. My main question is with the manual hubs i saw that you should not have them set into the lock position & was seeing that in order to get the 5 12 sided bolts out you should put it in neutral and put into 4 hi? So may be a silly question but when putting in 4 hi wouldn't I have to lock the hubs in for this method? Also once the bolts are off do I then take out of 4 hi and go back into 2wd before removing axle shaft? Like I said I don't want to mess anything up so want to be sure to get it done right. Thanks in advance.

I don't have a WD21 so I can't help with the specifics too much, but as far as unlocking the hubs while the transfer case is in 4wd I can try to help you understand (I am assuming that is what you are supposed to do since I have no experience with that generation Pathfinder, I'm just addressing your question about the method).

Now that that's cleared up, on to the explanation. Basically you've always been told (and thus have done so) that the hubs must be locked to engage 4wd. While this is true when driving, these two mechanisms are independent and as such can be operated independently (in certain non-driving situations like the one here) to achieve a desired result or perform a desired task, in this case changing a CV axle. Doing so should not cause any damage or undesireable performance, as long as you make sure to take it out of 4wd or lock the hubs before driving.

If the WD21 is anything like the R50 when it come to changing CV axles (which I suspect it is) then unlocking the hub (putting it into 2wd mode) will allow you to remove the CV axle (and also insert the new one) from the hub, and locking the transfer case into 4wd will keep the end of the CV shaft that is bolted to the differential from spinning, allowing the bolts to be removed (if the front part of the drivetrain was 'limp', or in 2wd, it would likely just spin when you try to remove the bolts). When changing the CV axle on my R50 I find it easiest to lock the transfer case into 4wd and lock the hubs into 4wd, and then break the bolts attaching the CV axle to the differential free while somebody else sits in the truck and presses on the brakes (with the vehicle not running for safety reasons; the brakes will apply plenty well for this application with the truck off) to absolutely keep the CV axle from spinning, and then unlock the hubs and continue as you described.

Hopefully that all makes sense!

Edited by mjotrainbrain
  • Like 1

Awesome thank you mjotrainbrain that is what I was looking to understand & that helps me out a bunch on this. Now time to go & tackle the replacements thanks again.

• Like 1

Awesome thank you mjotrainbrain that is what I was looking to understand & that helps me out a bunch on this. Now time to go & tackle the replacements thanks again.

Good luck! Be careful not to let the CV come apart in the boot when installing. If either one is in decent shape, I'd suggest keeping it as a trail spare.