IAAC Valve Wiring Woes - Success ... Sorta ...

alco3

Hello Everyone.

In an effort to get the VG34 installed in my 1994 D21 to idle I gave up on running the later VG33 (1999) idle control components and installed the components that are native to the VG30. As the VG30 uses two components rather than the one on the VG33, adding the second air control valve to the manifold was a job ... especially as it relies partially on the temperature of the water in the manifold to close properly. I used new oem valves, turned the key, and it started! This may not seem like a big deal but without the secondary IAC valve starting was previously more than a turn of the key. Then it goes right to a fast idle at 1000 - 1200 rpm then it drops to 700 rpm ... a little low given the Wolf S2 cams but wonderful just the same. I've got the IAAC adjustment screw in its stock from the factory setting and I'm not going to change it until I figure out ... driving it I have almost NO throttle response. Coming off a stop requires wot to get it moving ... and I'm just able to keep up with traffic ... until it hits 2500-2750 rpm... then its as strong as its ever been. I've cleared the ECU and adjusted the TPS and no change. I know the TPS is working correctly and the timing is correct. I suspect the throttle body butterfly adjustment is the culprit ... if its out of adjustment that would in turn make the TPS out. My problem is that I can't figure out a starting point for the butterfly. There is a bunch of warnings about never ever adjusting the sealed screw, but mine has been adjusted repeatedly to just get it to idle when I didn't have the correct components. Now I need to get the butterfly back to something like stock. I've got it set to just barely touching ... using the hold it up to the sun routine and I know that has to to be wrong ... unless I've got some other issue lurking. The engine has the S/C injectors / JWT ECU / a bunch of other mods ... all running great with Airmist methanol/water injection it just wouldn't idle or start worth a damn. Ideas?

Edited by alco3