Trailer wiring

Buy a universal trailer wiring harness such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-46155-Taillight-Converter-Universal/dp/B0002Q8036

Remove the right rear cargo panel and the right rear taillight. Pull the wiring harness out of the hole behind the taillight to expose the wires. Tap into the OEM taillight wires from inside the cavity behind the cargo panel. Run the 4-wire flat trailer wire harness down and out one of the rubber drain plugs on the bottom of the cavity and zip tie the wires back to the center of the hitch receiver.

• Like 1

How can i do it without the harness? Any tricks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

As I remember there is a box you can plug in behind the driver's tail light that has the 4 prong trailer light adapter. Are you wanting to skip that box? Can you just order it, or get one in a junk yard? I think that would be easier if an option.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You do need a converter box. The trouble is that many trucks run one 1157 bulb in either taillight, with the dim filament hooked to the parking lights and the bright filament running both the brake lights and the turn signals. Four-pin trailer wiring is set up the same so that it'll wire up easily. Pathfinders do not have brake and turn combined; brake has the bright filament of the 1157 all to itself and turn has its own separate 1156 bulb. To connect this three-filament setup to a four-pin trailer, you have to get a converter like what XPLORx4 linked. It should come with full instructions and labeling on the unit itself to make the wiring fairly straightforward.

I agree, you will have to use the converter box. I have the OEM harness, and it still has the box. If you're going to buy the box anyway, you might as well get the plug-n-play version. They are about the same price and make things much more simple.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Hitch-Wiring-Tow-Harness-For-Nissan-Pathfinder-2001-2002-2003-2004-/142463058318?hash=item212b75c18e:g:hTAAAOSw3gJZMZNs&vxp=mtr

The "box" refers to the trailer wiring harness adapter/converter. It takes 5-wire input (ground, tail, brake, L signal, R signal) and converts it to 4-wire output (ground, tail, Brake/R signal, Brake/L signal).