Gas cap has a lot of pressure while removing

Mrelcocko

Sometimes I will smell gas on my 97 QX4 when I do I go unscrew the gas cap and there's a lot of air and pressure that comes out. I know it's normal for a little bit of pressure to come out but this is way too much it will last 4 to 6 seconds. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

My 1989 does this if I'm really low. I got a new cap and it still does it. But if I have half a tank it won't. I'm also in a really hot climate and I've just assumes it's because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think it's venting more than it should, or more than it used to, you might want to check your evap system. Check valve, maybe, if the R50 evap is like WD21 evap. My gas cap gives a long hiss from time to time, but I haven't worried about it enough to track it down.

Is it hot where you are atm? If so, that hiss sound is normal in hot weather. My Terrano does the same thing and in summer it's blazing hot in Australia.

Maybe look into getting a new gas cap and see if that changes anything.

• Like 1

Here lately very hot. Maybe it's normal. Haven't smelled gas the last few days. I replaced the vacuum cut bypass valve due to a CEL a month ago so who knows maybe that has something to do with it. I've checked my evaporated system for leaks and can't find a problem.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

New gas cap same problem. No charcoal in evap lines. Canister is good. Check valve and bypass valves check out according to FSM service procedure. I know the gas cap when removing has a little pressure but when I remove mine it's an overwhelming amount of air that comes out. It last between 5 to 7 secs. What would be causing so much pressure to come out while removing gas cap? PLEASE HELP!

Sent from my Z836BL using Tapatalk