front cross member strength

So I was looking to jack my front end up and grabbed the big cup floor jack. Used a 4 inch piece of 2x4 between cup and member DEAD center (I measured it). Stopped before wheels were barely off the ground as I had a feeling I should use a longer piece of wood (3x3x8).

Did I possibly do any harm? How strong is it? Thanks in advance.

If you're talking about the cradle, the piece that spans between the two front wheels and has the steering rack on top of it, then you don't need to worry. I always jack mine up right there with no wood at all.. metal on metal.

If you're talking about the crossmember that supports the transmission then I don't know... since it is supporting more of the vehicle than just the front end, it could have warped it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree that it is fine to jack from the front crossmember that goes between the suspension. But I wouldn't use the radiator support that is further forward, just want to be sure that is what your calling the front crossmember.

I've accidentally bent one by putting the jack directly onto it... no rust either. its fairly simple and won't hurt to spend a few minutes extra to cut a piece of wood to put in between the jack and the car.

That's the only place I jack on the front, never had an issue going metal on metal. I slammed the crossmember into a tree stump while 4wheeling once, barely dented the thing, still aligns fine.