Trailer wiring

rc_cola_j

I'm trying to upgrade my trailer wiring from a 4-pin to 7-pin with a brake controller. Everything is done except connecting the wire from the brake pedal signal to the controller.

I looked under my dash at the pedal, there seems to be two switches at the top of the pedal which are triggered when the brake pedal is depressed. Why are there two? Where would you guys T into? What wire?

I think one is for the brake lights and the other is to disengage cruise control. I would figure out which one is for the tail lights and use that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, never considered one would be cruise control. the wire color coding would be the same all the way back to the tail lights right?

You could unplug one, press the brake and see if the lights come on. That would be an easy way to verify which one is for the brake lights.

Or better yet, push the switch in by hand and see what happens.

Edited by Citron
  • Like 2

No your probably right. I think he was trying to determine which switch operated the brake lights though.

But yes, he will probably need the output from the relay for the brake controller, I think. I have never installed one. Maybe all it needs is just the signal that the brakes are applied.

All it needs is a signal from the brake pedal switch. Use a test light or Digital Multi meter to probe the wires from the back side of the plug, and it will be easy to figure out which wire you need.

yup, just need a signal from the brake pedal switch to activate the brake controller.

I ran some extra wiring to my trunk area in the case that I want to add more lighting on my roof rack or have any other additional toys in the future.....figured it would be a good idea seeing as how much of a pain it is to get the paneling off and get under the carpeting. I could theoretically just T into the brake light itself and use one of these wires I ran, couldn't I?

If all you need is a signal, then yes, I would think you could.

I tried to get at the wire on the switch of the brake pedal....holy crap is it tight in there. It was so much easier to use the tail light.

Hey y'all y'all, I went to the local RV accy plc and bought a plugnplay kit for $46CAN taxes in...painless.

Hey rc, the brake pressing action also disengages the shift lockout and probably a few otherthings we haven't figured yet. Remember, the relay itself is a DPDT so it can do more than 1 action.

if you already have a Flat 4 connector setup(grn & yel-turns & stop, brn-running lights & wht-ground) you will need 2 x 14 gauge for trailer brake trigger (in & usually blue) and B/U light-the center pin(color yer choice)and if you wish, a single 12 gauge for a trailer Aux power(Red).

I just Googled "4 flat to 7 pin trailer wiring nissan", image, and there are lots of good pix/diagrams of the Wiring Standards for this query.

• Like 1

I think one is for the brake lights and the other is to disengage cruise control. I would figure out which one is for the tail lights and use that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably a few days late but for future info in case anyone searches: the switch that turns on your brake lights is the one closest to the passenger side of the vehicle. I know because over the weekend my brake lights wouldn't go out because the little plastic piece that actuates the switch and turns on the brake lights when the pedal is pushed disintegrated.

Hey y'all y'all, I went to the local RV accy plc and bought a plugnplay kit for $46CAN taxes in...painless.

Hey rc, the brake pressing action also disengages the shift lockout and probably a few otherthings we haven't figured yet. Remember, the relay itself is a DPDT so it can do more than 1 action.

if you already have a Flat 4 connector setup(grn & yel-turns & stop, brn-running lights & wht-ground) you will need 2 x 14 gauge for trailer brake trigger (in & usually blue) and B/U light-the center pin(color yer choice)and if you wish, a single 12 gauge for a trailer Aux power(Red).

I just Googled "4 flat to 7 pin trailer wiring nissan", image, and there are lots of good pix/diagrams of the Wiring Standards for this query.

Thanks!!!