Restoring black plastic molding

colinnwn

By accident I discovered rubbing 100% silicone clear caulk into the black plastic molding where it has gotten chalky looking, makes it look like new.

Those Renew Wipes sold at home centers for $20 for 4 wipes also work well. But they seem like heavy duty Armor All, and are only guaranteed to last 6 months.

This is a lot cheaper and I feel l like it will last longer. f6fc207736ee386965d8f7395e6aaec3.jpg

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I might try this out on the trim around the windows and my roof rack mounts.

I wonder if dust and pollen would stick to it though.

I think pollen would stick before it dries, but after it is dry I doubt it will stick more than anything else.

My roof rack mounts, the paint is peeling and exposing the metal. I need to repaint it.

By accident I discovered rubbing 100% silicone clear caulk into the black plastic molding where it has gotten chalky looking, makes it look like new.

Those Renew Wipes sold at home centers for $20 for 4 wipes also work well. But they seem like heavy duty Armor All, and are only guaranteed to last 6 months.

This is a lot cheaper and I feel l like it will last longer. f6fc207736ee386965d8f7395e6aaec3.jpg

Turtle Wax makes a product called endura-shine trim coating that works really good

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

I have this stuff for BMWs and it's a plastic reguvination spray. You just spray it on and walk away. It makes plastic look OEM with no oily residue and lasts a few washes before it wears off. It's really good on those upper bumper finishers. For the window rubbers I used armorall tyre foam I spray it on a rag first then wipe it on. Auto trans fluid works too although it's a machine oil.

• Like 1

I use a product called "Beyond Black" by Surf City for the tires(&anything else rubber)and Simonize Ultra Protectant on everything else black plastic. That being said, most of these products are silicone containing so they will only last a few months at best.

On a slightly different note, I absolutely advocate the use of RainX. That $#it is AWESOME! It's like having a brand new windshield when it rains and makes scraping the frost off, effortless. Bin usin it for years.

I just used about a 1/4 bottle of Mother's Back to Black on mine. LOL! There's some oxidation that can't be fixed on mine, but it looks a lot better and it lasts more than a few washes (experience from other vehicles).

These are other great ideas to try. Thanks. Unfortunately where I rubbed in the pure silicone already doesn't look that great. But it is still better than it was. I will try some of these other products.

The turtle wax trim coating is an acrylic liquid you put on a sponge. Let dry 15min and repeat. The more coats the darker it gets. A lot of products run when they get wet or when it rains and they streak this stuff will not streak it's like painting really. Pep Boys carries the stuff. I've been using it for 2 years now and nothing I've seen or used compares.10aadc46903e43dbad87fcffc71b2455.jpg

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk