Somewhat urgent: Lost my gas cap, now I'm having fuel problems on my trip home.

Backpacker

Went camping, accidentally left the gas cap for my 1989 on the roof, lost it. On the drive up to the mountains it ran fine, it was around midnight and we drove 80 miles with no issues without the cap. Driving home just now in 100 degree weather made it maybe 25 miles, stopped at Taco Bell to eat, now she won't run after a short heat soak. If I pump the throttle I can keep the rough idle up, otherwise it drops to 200 or so rpm but doesn't really stall completely out.

I was thinking maybe the hot weather is making the gas expand in the tank too much somehow causing fuel delivery problems. I'm currently hitchhiking 15mi to the parts store to pick up a gas cap. If this doesn't fix the issue, any other ideas?? I have my tools with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Backpacker

I doubt it's a fuel delivery issue, at least not one caused by the gas cap. If it was, it wouldn't have waited 105 miles to cause problems. I don't know the TBI very well but I'd be checking sensor connections and vac lines.

One of the best investments I made was replacing my fuel cap with a new one from Nissan. I had a bad experience with an aftermarket one...tanked up and drove off then the thing started to overflow when I had parked it.

I doubt it's a fuel delivery issue, at least not one caused by the gas cap. If it was, it wouldn't have waited 105 miles to cause problems. I don't know the TBI very well but I'd be checking sensor connections and vac lines.

I went down a 6 mile dirt road with no cap and think I clogged an injector. It feels like only one bank gets compression with how violently it's shaking, and eventually goes into limp mode and runs fine(assuming it's shutting off the clogged one).

I stand corrected, my injector is stuck open. It's dumping a ridiculous amount of fuel into the throttle body.

• Like 1

Ah. Yeah, that's not a good thing. Change your oil once you've got the injector sorted.

I'd be surprised if six miles of driving on dirt brought in enough dirt to stick the injector open, but if you're concerned, I'd pull the pump out and look down into the tank with a flashlight to see if it's a mess in there.

Filter should have caught anything and clogged before it got to the injectors.

Yeah I think I was wrong. I had the injector cap off when I primed it causing a major dump of fuel into the tb, enough to hydrolock the engine. I'm waiting on borrowing an air compressor so I can get the dirt out of my plug valleys to get the gas out if it doesn't all drain into the oil. The injectors tested good with a meter.