HUGH HEADACHE

bigspanner

After replacing the RH head gasket on my VG30e I now find that I have minimal to zero induction pressure on the RH bank of cylinders. What is really doin my head in is that there is good cold starting compression on 1 3 and 5 of around 160 lbs/ sq inch. Have replaced timing belt and all the valve train appears to be timed correctly. Cylinder bleed down show b/w 5 10 % on all 3 cylinders, Ignition timing appears to be spot on. Have replaced lifters inspected cam, all OK. hence good comp and bleed down. There appears to be good exhaust flow from each cylinder. Hence my hugh headache, Why wont it suck on the RH bank. LH bank which remains untouched has great induction suck. Anyone any ideas as to what maybe happening here. Motor can be conviced to run on 3 cylinders on the RH bank. I know of 3 highly experienced mechs and 1 race motor builder who are as confounded as I am. WTF??

Tight valves possibly? I'm not really sure how it'd have good compression while cold but lose compression once hot on only those 3 cylinders (if I'm reading your post correctly)

Did you check everything on the head? Was it running fine before the head gasket issue. Was it due to over heating or some other issue?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't know much about that motor, but I do know motors in general. First thing I would check is timing. Are you 180 degrees out on that side? Next would be the intake. I know these things have butterflies for timing stuff. Are they stuck shut for some reason? Lastly, it might be time to pull the head back off and check everything out again.

If it were me, I'd start with the intake.

Yeh still the same old girl. had her 20 odd years now and now just becoming one great head *my "vocabulary" is so small*. If it weren't mine I wouldn't mind so much but now shes got me totally baffled. Definitely not loosing comp when running just not firing. Ign timing good just doesnt want to suck on that side. Cant see anything that should stop it but something obviously is. Well off to check re check everything again. Not hopeful but will persevere.

Just to help this is my mechanical background. Trained as an auto elec back in mid 70"s. Ran speedway for 5 years around the same time doing all my own mech work. Have also done 3yrs Mechanical engineering at uni about the same time. Worked in local auto shops for about 10 years as leading hand and head mech. Have had the opportunity to design and modify camshafts under tutelage of a ford design mech engineer. Mainly for speedway use. So I have a rough idea how motors should work. Be fuuu if it helps in this situation though.