Diiiirrrrrrttyy! Carpet replacement.

I have started getting ready to replace my carpet after I went for a swim in the deep end. I plan to go to pull-a-part tomorrow to find a new carpet.

I snapped a couple pics to show you guys how bad it really was..

ef3375ed01895b691d99b3533c8f2b27.jpg

57631e927dee0f1229eb74c22a63b108.jpg

a2e702747d72c61f36a9b79509b431e7.jpg

48f95c613cebca468dbb82efbc1a24ad.jpg

1d8f16cfb9f0b9e6e6cd11a8b0cdde1f.jpg

Thanks PO..

Yep so I really want to find black carpet but I'll settle for anything clean!

Also tomorrow I'm going to get my black center caps and black lugs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by onespiritbrain
  • Like 1

Wow, sorry about your carpet. Any electrical issues? Ive had water enter the cabin from crossings but never mud. I tend to avoid deep water if I can. Already roasted the drivers side power seat motors and Ive been lucky with the rest.

Skip the junkyard! You can buy replacement carpet from Rock Auto or several other retailers. Usually just requires cutting holes for bolt holes, shifter, etc. Pick your colors, there's even a vinyl option.

• Like 2

The only electrical issues are my driver seat's backrest motor is toast, my mids and highs amp is toast, and I'm pretty sure all the speakers except the tweeters are toast. I'm really not sure about the speakers but they made some crazy noises before they were completely submerged.. after that they were silent... haha

Dude! I checked on new carpet pricing using google the first time I sunk my vehicle and it was almost $500. I had written off replacing the carpet until I considered pull-a-part but now that I can have brand new fully heat shielded and padded carpet for $150 I am definitely buying new. Thank you very much hawairish!

Haha yeah my kids are banned from eating in the car just because of that. My MDX is super saturated with food spills!

Here's how I cleaned it out...

https://youtu.be/ZsgJRaFX5GA

Now I'm getting ready to pull every plug and clean with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air!

4f84114258a99d1e8a4161aa65242178.jpg

• Like 4

Hey One, I think you got urself a small leak somewhere. Lol But it IS a nice uniform brownish color and you know exactly what IT is.

The entire interior in mine was removed and binned save for the dashboard. I DON'T want to know what the previous owner, her young son and dog did in that truck prior to my purchase of it but sufficed to say, I have seen cleaner restaurant dumpsters than what I found when I started removing the seats, etc. Nytrile gloves, a given. and serious thoughts about a hazmat suit.

Found over $10 in shrapnel entombed in an indescribable black tarlike substance that took me 2 long evenings to get down to the original sound deadener and paint color. And a LOT of screamin hot soapy water.

Sure looks/smells nice and sanitary in there now. Cleaned the biege carpets today and I'll let them bake in the sun tomorrow.

I do like Hawairish's idea about the rubber "carpet". My buddy just takes the hose and the shop vac to it after we go fishin. Loop carpet is about the worst idea for what we do w/those truck

I'm going to and may I suggest using a dielectric grease on all those connections while you've got them all conveniently exposed.

• Like 1

Could swear I posted here, but don't see it now. I've been amazed at what carpet can bounce back from. The worst carpet I've seen cleaned was in a friend's Astro van. The PO had not been kind to it, and neither were we when we pulled apart the engine through the doghouse to replace the head gaskets. Grease and oil everywhere. He found some kind of cleaner in a can that got it looking surprisingly good again.

That said, there's a point where you just pitch it, especially if replacements are cheap. I didn't even try to clean the cigarette stank out of my '93's carpet because I had a non-stanky donor to pull a cleaner one from!

BEST carpet cleaner I ever found is a product called FOLEX. Been around for 40 years. That @!*% is amazing! It took everything except some coffee(???) stains conveniently located under back edge of the center console. Gave up w/the Bissel Green Machine (exhausting) and just sprayed the Folex on, scrubbed w/a stiff brush (had to keep it damp w/a spray bottle in the 95ºF heat) then sucked it back out w/the W/D Shopvac.

I would clean it but the smell of it is like a dead animal.. you know my shoes sometimes get this way and the one and only thing I've found that resets the stank is bleach. Other chemicals greatly reduce the stench but it always quickly returns.. I guess I could soak it in bleach.. money is tight for a little while so this is likely to be what actually happens. Only problem with that is the heel shaped hole right under the gas peddle which gets nearly as hot as the sun.. hmmm.. I just don't know..

Jose, I drove into a ridiculously deep mud hole and stalled out right in the middle. Every spot possible leaked in, half way up the door speakers...! I crunk the engine and forced it to run after hydrolocking it and lost my engine also.. winched out and barely limped to the paved road and got a tow home. I just finished replacing the motor here a month or two ago. Not worth it at all in the slightest.. it is WAY neater to create a path around such obstacles..

Anyway I will keep you guys posted which ever route I take.

Ouch. I was wondering how you sunk it that far without hydrolocking. Did you also replace the fluid in your diffs, t-case, and transmission? I imagine those breathers were probably submersed.

Unrelated to all this shenanigans, what did you use to mount that winch???

I would clean it but the smell of it is like a dead animal.. you know my shoes sometimes get this way and the one and only thing I've found that resets the stank is bleach. Other chemicals greatly reduce the stench but it always quickly returns.. I guess I could soak it in bleach.. money is tight for a little while so this is likely to be what actually happens. Only problem with that is the heel shaped hole right under the gas peddle which gets nearly as hot as the sun.. hmmm.. I just don't know..

There are enzyme treatments that will treat the odors. Pet stores have a variety of them for cleaning up pet stains. I have used a product called "Odor Exit" with great success for several years. I used to use it whenever I was assigned a new truck. When I was done I would have a truck that smelled almost new instead of smelling like a cigarette infested sweat shop.

• Like 1

I checked all my fluids and found no water. I think breathers for differentials and transmissions, or any gearbox where the oil inside isn't displaced(i.e. not a hydraulic reservoir), do their breathing during heat cycles. It would sort of be like trying to fill a large sealed vessel with a small hose that has a hook in it by submerging it in water. I guess that's not a good analogy since that's already exactly what it is... but while the air does want to escape and be replaced with the higher density fluid I believe the hook at the end works to overcome that.. I think... at any rate I didn't end up with water intrusion in any of my gearboxes and I'm pretty sure at least my front diff was submerged.

I forgot to hook the breather extension back up after replacing the engine and left a wad of electrical tape on the instead. Luckily it didn't blow the seals..

I did decide to try to wash the carpet instead of replace it. I think it went pretty well.

I used a half bleach and half simple green solution to soak everything down. After it sat for 10-15min I pressure washed the crud out of it! I pressure washed for every bit of an hour and still there is murky water coming from the padding. If I continued any further on the padding it would have deteriorated.

c7dd55f16bcc69b28f5909b8d060dc81.jpg

3521ebe08b84edd4b084cde9029dd39a.jpg

056c49abc4fc0ae88f71946e70058e7d.jpg

b094cf4669a3536342c6b10bd07162b0.jpg

25003594d227e63ab12bc7e055596e78.jpg

So that hole is right where my heal touches the floor while pressing the gas peddle. I plan to cut a square out just bigger than the hole and I'll use the carpet that goes under the rear passenger seats to fill the square. I'll use the padding in the last picture there to better insulate that spot.

Actually I need to better insulate that entire area. I might try to figure something out for that like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006LNWE7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498953674&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=insulating+mat&dpPl=1&dpID=61GkORDmm0L&ref=plSrch

Edit: nah that costs money...

I'd like to also find the thickest possible floor mats.

Edited by onespiritbrain
  • Like 3

66e1a97b9c2cf3a5f2bfa48f0f5fa805.jpg

b4dfb4c54282a909d516d106c962c1be.jpg

c3da9fe2fe056e82330148389f2c6c7f.jpg

5c8e39392cb8d0eba1bdeffafe275848.jpg

I think this is going to work just fine. I've got everything all buttoned up but it got too dark to take a good photo.

Man... I will never ever get in that kind of mud again.

Thank you guys for all the advice and kindnesses.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of it all buttoned up.

• Like 2

Looks like it's coming along nicely! Why'd you cut up your floor mat though? If the hole is going to be covered by another floor mat anyway why not just replace it with some scrap carpet or something?

It did indeed! My camera is messing up on my phone.. it won't focus. I guess it is on the way out. Micah has me thinking about getting a real camera.

• Like 1

It did indeed! My camera is messing up on my phone.. it won't focus. I guess it is on the way out. Micah has me thinking about getting a real camera.

Yeah, his pics are fantastic. I need to start using my camera more. The phone is just so convenient, and for 7 years old it still takes decent pictures (if it feels like working).