Opinions on a couple of tires

Citron

I have been shopping for tires for awhile now, the ones I have are on their last legs. Unfortunately, I have had to buy tires for my truck and do some repairs to the truck and my wife's car, so my tire budget for the pathfinder isn't what it was.

I am looking at the falken wildpeak atw3 or the Kenda klever Mt kr29. I wanted to go 33x10.5R15, but there are very few options and all cost too much. I can get five (need new spare too) of the ones I listed in 32x11.5R15 for the same price as four of the 33s.

Anyone have experience with the falkens or kendas? This is not a DD, it is a trail only rig. It is only on pavement to get to and from off roading. Thoughts?

Since this is not your dd, which tire would better suit your typical wheeling terrain? The falken at3w is an aggressive at, which based upon the many reviews and magazine tests, they perform quite well in all conditions with the exception of deep, gooey mud. They're also made with a rubber compound that should balance traction with good longevity (mileage). So for a truck that's more or less, a dedicated trail rig, if you typically find yourself on dirt/gravel roads, sand, silt or even rocks, but rarely gooey mud, I'd go with them.

The kenda's are a low budget "entry level" tire. They're made with a softer compound, so will probably offer decent traction in most situations, but will likely wear and chunk easier. I've also heard that they're sidewalls are fairly easy to puncture, so I'd stay away if you play in the rocks.

Overall, if I had to choose between those 2 tires, unless mud was my main playground, I'd go with the falken.

I'm actually going to be due for tires before winter and I've been giving the falken a good, hard look. I'll most likely either go with those or get another set of general grabber at 2's, as they've been great for me in all my typical conditions.

That's my $0.02...

• Like 1

I mainly travel on dirt trails, but I am starting to get more into wheeling. I really don't know what the wheeling areas around here offer in terms of terrain.

The only thing I know about Kendas is that they are well respected in the motorcycle/dirt bike/atv world. Good to know what you have heard about them.

I am leaning more towards the Falkens, but am unsure if they would be aggressive enough for wheeling terrain around here.

• Like 1

I've got Kenda Klever A/Ts on my pathfinder currently, the BFGs on 10 inch wide wheels were a little rough on the highway, so I swapped the stock wheels off of my pickup. They're just 235/75/15s but they seem to handle well and I haven't had any issues with wear or traction. They did really well in the snow on my truck with open diffs, better than the BFG A/Ts on the Path. I would say for the price, they're a solid choice. I know a couple of guys in the local offroad group that run the M/Ts and I haven't heard any complaints about them.

• Like 1