What would you keep in a dedicated camping/wheeling rig?

NovaPath

As the topic states. Couple of considerations: It needs to still have plenty of room for coolers, camping gear, etc. I always do a pre run checkover, but want a good supply of stuff that is just ready to go.

This is what I'm currently thinking of permanently keeping on board.

-tool kit, complete with spare tie rod, original hub assembly, and ball joint.

-air compressor and tire plug kit.

-first aid kid (cycled out annually with new items), complete with medications as well.

-recovery strap and d rings.

-2 ratcheting tie downs

-power inverter

-garmin gps unit

-2 fire extinguishers.

-hand held compass

-pocket knife and small hatchet.

Anyone have anything they would add to this? Remember, trying to keep as much open space as possible!

When I change my belts and hoses I keep the old ones for spares. I have a full set of belts and upper and lower radiator hose in mine.

Except for the last five items, I have pretty much the same stuff.

Also a chainsaw, not gonna mess around with a hatchet. And fuel. TP. Maps. CCW. I think that is about it.

Pretty good list, similar to mine.I also keep a quart of oil, coolant, lighter and a life straw because you gotta have access to or the ability to make drinkable water in case of an emergency. The tote usually stays in back and is secured unless im going to be hauling something.

• Like 1

ditch the chain saw...to much extra gas and oil...just get a good hand saw. way safer than an ax. I like the Silky katana boy. folds in half doesn't need gas, cuts like a mofo. ANY HAND SAW THAT CAN HANDLE WOOD A FOOT IN DIAMETER OR SO SHOULD BE GOOD ENOUGH. add a large bug net/ rain tarp and bug spray to keep you and your loved ones sane and dry , if biting bugs are an issue where you live. a shovel, Toilet Paper! a radio, flashlight. add Maxi pads to the first aid kit, very good sterile wound dressing and cheap. if you are heading to back country areas a hi lift jack and and a" wheel mate" accessory (allows you to lift the truck from the wheel) is a good investment. cards or a game to play for your passengers while waiting for help. Flashlight and extra batteries. jack stand. road flares. rubber boots, extra clothes (depends on the weather... wet or cold). gloves. blanket or extra sleeping bag. jump start battery like this one..https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PWE?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_3 it works great. tire pressure gauge. OBD 2 code reader. spare belts, hoses and hose clamps. muffler tape. JB weld. gorilla tape. Snack Food and water. just remember that PRIOR PLANNING PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE.

• Like 2

Tree a foot in diameter? That's just a sapling around here!

Great list by the way.

Edited by Citron
  • Like 1

Citron: "sapling", that's priceless! Sounds like ur showing off cuz "we" live in the stunningly green Pacific NW!!

My Top 5 items are: TP, LED Light, knife, water, fire device, vodka(just a micky, for medicinal purposes, ya understand...well mostly). Pretty much been that order for 40 years now.

And I guess it's all relative to the number of bodies on board, if you have a sturdy roof rack and how long an adventure. Rule of thumb is: enough to survive for 3 days, each.

Seems most everybody here is relatively ready for the ZA. Remember, we ARE pre-Z. Its not a matter of if, but WHEN.

Just sayin....

Oh HEY, IT'S THE FIRST DAY OF SUMMER!!!!! WOO WOO

• Like 1

Remember, we ARE pre-Z.

Unless there's something 'they' aren't telling us...

I just keep tools, some spare parts, towing/recovery stuff (shackles, tow rope, trailer hitch and pins, ratchet straps), nets for roof rack and trunk, an MRE, LED flashlight and extra batteries, and knife (plus another and a multi-tool on me), OBD-2 reader, first aid kit, and a folding chair in mine. I need to add a lot more. Case of water, tent, and more food would be good. A better first aid kit too.

Everyone missed the most important thing common sense and your brain. Short of the unknowable parts failure that could happen anywhere, most trail damage I have seen results from the lack of common sense.

A good belt knife, and keep it sharp.

But add spare batteries for your GPS

Paper maps are good

Good solid hiking boots for everyone, and a decent day pack you might just have to walkout. Your stay in the truck camping gear should stay in the pack along with food and water.

A small butane stove - Jetboil or something similar. you can heat food and water and it is small and easy to pack.

Some form of communications other than a cellphone - I don't know what the cell coverage is like in your part of the world but it is often non existent up here in BC.

Predator protection is a personal thing - I carry bearspray and a 14 in barrel 12 gauge with rubber and lead slugs. But I still reach for my camera when I see any kind of animals including grizzlies.

The shotgun is a nice choice simply because if I had to hunt I could go after anything from deer down and I carry the shotgun loads to do so.

• Like 1

I used to keep a couple of large clear recycling bags (drum sized) tucked away. Multi-use.... can be for trash, can be used as seat covers when you have to dig yourself out of a mudhole and don't want to get your interior muddy, can be used to keep gear our of rain, can be used as a tent (if you are creative) or to just keep rain off, can be used to wrap a body in, ... lots of uses and they take almost no space.

• Like 2

I have an action packer in the back of my truck that has a small tool roll with basic tools, a warning triangle, a 4-way lug wrench (I HATE the factory lug wrenches, never enough leverage!) a small "survival" kit I made, a flashlight with the batteries reversed (so it can't accidentally turn on and burn out my batteries.) Also in the box are a 12v air compressor and a fire extinguisher, a set of jumper cables and a portable jump starter (I get on-line reminders every 3 months or so to plug it in and charge it.) I don't really have starting or battery issues but if I run into someone else who needs a jump start, it's easier (and safer) to use the portable jump starter than to try and connect the cables.

One thing I always keep in there is a warm jacket, several pairs of gloves and a couple of hats (knit watch cap style.) Here in CO it can go from 75 and sunny to sub-freezing in the space of a few hours when you're at high altitudes. Many times when we've been on camping trips during the summer and it's gotten unseasonably cold we've pulled that jacket out (it's an old Army Gore-Tex parka, so warm and waterproof.)

Food and water is problematic for long term storage in a vehicle, IMO. If you know you're going to be in the wild for a while you can pack some in there but food has a limited shelf life and if it gets out of the package it will (1) spoil and ( 2) attract vermin (ants, mice, etc - not who you want in your vehicle!) It will also stink to high heaven if it gets hot. Even MRE's have a limited shelf life, so personally I wouldn't waste the space.

As for water, the issue is how much space it takes up. Pathfinders are not large vehicles (especially R50's) and the space taken up by a case of water is significant. Also as time goes by, plastic starts to break down which can lead to leaky water bottles and/or BPAs or other nasty chemicals in your water.

Edited by Martinjmpr

Thats why I like to carry the life straw. Drinkable water from any fresh source. Pond, creek, river...etc. and it packs away almost anywhere without a shelf life

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...