Running Issues AFTER Fixing MAF Ground

So, recently my Pathfinder ('92 SE 3.0 5-spd) started idling low and stalling out at stoplights or when simply idling for a while (20+ seconds) and after seeing so many topics regarding the MAF grounding issue causing similar problems, I went ahead and modified the stock plug on mine to include a ground wire from the plug to the ground strap on the inside fender. I verified the ground with a multimeter, and thoroughly soldered the connection.

Truck ran exactly the same on the initial test drive immediately after installation, but after taking it out last night once the truck got a little warmer it started missing, running rough, acting like it wasn't firing on all 6 cylinders, and generally just running poorly. It has power past 3k rpm's, so I figure it IS getting a MAF reading, but am not sure why the sudden change in performance. I'll check the ECU and try to get the O2 sensor diagnostic check done to rule that out, but past that I am not sure what's up.

-truck was dying at stoplights

-added a ground to the MAF

-now it idles strong but runs very poorly

Any help is appreciated!

Sounds like bad MAF or injectors.. I would lean toward MAF. I have a lesser form of your same issue. Finicky until EXACTLY 3k RPM then it opens up and takes off like a rocket(bottle rocket...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm leaning towards a bad O2 sensor, MAF, or distributor (in that order) considering that my truck would stumble ever so slightly before I did this fix. Engine has been GREAT up until about 2 weeks ago when it started the dying-at-idle crap, and now it just runs pathetically bad. I just wonder why the MAF being hooked up PROPERLY causes this issue?

Either way, there's a local junkyard I plan to visit this weekend to pull the MAF and Dizzy if I can get a good price on them (and maybe some other goodies, too) and will report back after I run diagnostics on the ECM.

Yesterday on the 3rd warm-up after installing the ground strap the truck just POOF started running fine again. Tooke it on the freeway, even, and had no issues with the stalling I was dealing with before, or the rough running issue I was dealing with the last few days.

I'll keep an eye on it and report back if any more problems/fixes pop up, but for now it's back to normal and running as well as it was before. Maybe the computer just needed more time to cope!

The computer does have a learning and memory function that is timed to the number of start-run cycles. It may be that but I would think that it's more likely some parameters in the computer that caused a reaction to the new good signal from the MAF. Same reason why it was running like crap before!