Xterra roof rack install with pics and more!

RCWD21

Today I decided to finally install the xterra roof rack that I picked up over a year ago. It's just been laying up against the side of the garage outside collecting cobwebs up until now.

Now I know that there's a few installs already on here like this but none of them that I've found include active pics and more importantly how much is required to be trimmed for all the mounts to be flush with the body.

I won't be including pics of the rivnut install as that's pretty straight forward and some of you might not choice to use that method for attaching the rack.

First of all you need

1. The roof rack with or without the bars.

2. A decent tape measure.

3. A way to cut the tubing (I used a hacksaw)

4. Room to work

5. Most importantly a WD21 Pathfinder

First thing I did was see where I wanted the rack to mount. Mounting on the lower section of roof would probably be easier but due to me having a snorkel it forces me to mount to the middle raised portion of roof.

On the first side it was mostly trial and error until I found what worked. The second bar took about a minute flat.

The amount that I removed from the front of both bars was 2 3/4 inches (2.75"). This leaves just the slightest gap under the middle mount which actually helps with the mounting feet being flush with the roof once everything is tightened down.

I still have to trim a few things as of right now but once I do I'll post more pictures.

*** Here's a very important note for those of you that have sun roofs. Mounting the rack like I did will cause the front foot to over lap the front corners of the sun roof causing it to be unable to be opened. Now if you never open the sun roof then you can ignore this note as the feet sit flush. But if you do open it then you'll need to trim the back inner section of the front feet to allow clearance for the sunroof. With the rack mounted and feet trimmed you'll be able to open it but you'll have to remove the rack to completely remove the sunroof.d9e499e8097447f2a2ad190182955b08.jpg31b748bad09d0eccec64df9f1ee6e2ab.jpg4692a5c4cab6b40a871872f6e1e9bc5a.jpgdcdaf595d73d75d28543adc819edf18d.jpg70d32de737c7cf9230e6574d500ab022.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I like it. Can you take a pic from further back please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which angle would you like?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

I did mine differently as I had the sunroof, I reversed the 2 center mounts so they sit inside the rails, and moved the rails further out toward the edge, pics below:

6rh3qc.jpg

xeh4ox.jpg

flipping the middle mounts to the inside brought them so they weren't sitting over the groove on the roof:

sxdw6u.jpg

wc0ia1.jpg

Had to trim the inside corner of the front mounts to clear the sunroof, glass opens normally but you would have to remove the rack to remove the glass:

jgh54i.jpg

28hg293.jpg

yp3t3.jpg

Pic from a distance:

10pq5tv.jpg

• Like 1

also to install the rack you would need some rivnuts or nutserts and the installation tool, that is what I used on mine, Nissan uses the same type fastener except the nutserts I used are round and the OEM ones are hexagon shaped, you can find the hexagon shaped ones but the tool to make the hex hole is expensive.

Edited by ahardb0dy