Aftermarket/Custom Bumpers (front and rear)

RCWD21

I'm at the stage in my build where I'm planning on building my own bumpers.

It's probably really clear why I'm posting this, but if not it's because I can't make up my mind of which style to go with. I'm partial to tubular but also to the larger ARB style.

I've been all over this forum looking at bumpers and just wanted to see what the current memebers are using, both front and rear pics please!

Only requirements is it must be a winch bumper and be plenty strong for the front. The rear can be of any style as long as it's not just a railroad tie (I've thought about it so don't ask)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have been contemplating the Jeep XJ bumper kits, so I will be following this thread too. I would like to add a tire mount to the rear bumper too.

• Like 1

Will also be following this thread. I would like to a have two spare wheel carriers on the rear bumper, but this could het very tight with two 33" tires, and also somewhat heavy. I have already tied into the chassis on the rear with 16mm (probably around 3/4") flat stock thatvare my recovery points, and just capped the stock towbar after shortening it and lifting it slightly because it was messing with my departure angle.

Then I did a 7" lift, and everything changed . Now I am looking to do something that will tie back to the chassis to protect the body when coming off a rock. The tow bar will have to get a big drop plate with another tie in to the chassiss to support and stop any twisting.

My front end cross member no longer resembles anything Nissan after the SAS, and also incorporates copious amount of 3/4" plate and carriers for the suspension. We have a fairly unique bushbar on our rigs here, and I would like to keep as much of that look, but pull the edges of the bumper up to aid approach angles.

Anyhow, so I'll like to see what designs are out there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I too am looking for bumpers, particularly a front winch bumper. I find the ARB Sahara Bar a bit too heavy, bulky, lacking recovery points, requiring winch clocking to mount and kind of dated in appearance. I am particularly interested in the WJ bumpers that have been modified (I think that includes TheExBrit, CDN_S4 & Enjoi408). Personally I want a winch bumper with 2 recovery points, integrated light space to mount my own LEDs, a smallish top bar to mount an LED light bar (a cut out for a light bar would be great too but I don't think those work in WJs or R50s-I see them in T4Rs) and I would like it to mount up nicely with the body work on the sides. My understanding is that a WJ bumper will require shortening the mounts (& likely welding them to the frame) and bending the lateral wings out slightly. For aesthetics it requires relocating the wiper washer fluid reservoir & modifying the air intake or at least removing the resonators.

I too am looking for bumpers, particularly a front winch bumper. I find the ARB Sahara Bar a bit too heavy, bulky, lacking recovery points, requiring winch clocking to mount and kind of dated in appearance. I am particularly interested in the WJ bumpers that have been modified (I think that includes TheExBrit, CDN_S4 & Enjoi408). Personally I want a winch bumper with 2 recovery points, integrated light space to mount my own LEDs, a smallish top bar to mount an LED light bar (a cut out for a light bar would be great too but I don't think those work in WJs or R50s-I see them in T4Rs) and I would like it to mount up nicely with the body work on the sides. My understanding is that a WJ bumper will require shortening the mounts (& likely welding them to the frame) and bending the lateral wings out slightly. For aesthetics it requires relocating the wiper washer fluid reservoir & modifying the air intake or at least removing the resonators.

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend taking a look at Citrons build thread on the last page and checking out the bumper he just built. It's probably way stronger than it'll ever need to be and last longer than the rig it's attached to.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

For Your Judgement!

Okay, well, I think just about everybody knows I’ve been looking for a bumper to kickstart my build. I think I may have an answer and I am curious for input.

I don’t really want the ARB Sahara Bar as it is heavy and looks a little dated to me. I really like this one that Andrew(aka enjoi408) had made for his rig http://rockandroadperformance.com/plate-bumper-process. Unfortunately, they didn’t save their jigs and I would have to bring the truck to Sacramento to get it done again. I even tried buying Andrew's bumper off him when his rig just recently was in an unfortunate 4 car accident which sadly ended it’s life (someone else beat me to the bumper-probably someone else on NPORA).

I considered welding an XJ bumper on like ExBrit & TownDawgR50 but I haven’t been able to find anyone to do it.

Finally, a query to Brandon at Coastal Offroad hit paydirt. He makes bumpers for 4Runners, Tacomas, Frontiers & XTerras. He would like to offer an R50 bumper but he needs a rig for a model. He works out of Victoria & Vancouver BC and I may just drive my truck up there and have him do it. I’m curious to get input on his design and any critiques / recommendations you might have. I plan on mounting a Smittybilt X20 98510 or 98512 winch and I want the center hoop. I’m currently undecided about the lateral hoops. Aesthetically, they seem a little overwhelming but they would definitely protect me from the trees up here in the NW plus it would give me a mounting point for limb risers which would also be usefull in our woods.

Here is his website and some posts over on the T4R forum. Let the opinions begin!!

https://www.coastaloffroad.com

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/241185-official-coastal-offroad-3rd-gen-armor-thread.html

• 2 weeks later...

Learning to weld takes a bit of time. You have to learn the puddle. If it's too hot or too cold. I would suggest taking a class at your local college, if you have one close by. You could probably build the bumper in class?

I'm not a fan of the pre runner style bumpers. I won't be doing any major off roading. I won't need a bumper that would give me a lot of approach angle.

I will be doing something similar to a stock bumper, in terms of style. It will have angles so it will match the square body of the pathfinder better. I have a 95.

Edited by RF600