weird engine problem 3.3L

DirtyD

I have been having a weird engine problem. If I am sitting at a red light or stop sign some times the engine seems to have a miss to it, but its only does it when its in Drive or reverse, but not in neutral. I have new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, ran cleaner in my gas and changed the fuel filter, had someone tell me it might be a clogged injector but if it isn't doing it in neutral i don't think that is what it is.... I do have codes, O2 sensor and a knock sensor, I plan on doing the 02 around the 1st and the knock when I can get it into a shop. but I am at a lost. and when it does it you can feel it in the cab. I will try and get a video of it later.

I have been having the same problem for a loooong time. Disconnecting the EGR valve seems to make mine better, but not a complete fix. I'm wondering if it is bad injectors.

I couldn't find the gapping specs. And the owners manual doesn't any specs and just says not to regap them. But I haven't checked for a vacuum leak

The only way I've ever been able to fix the miss is to literally clean EVERYTHING internal engine wise just like it would be new. Even then it still pops up here and there. I've leaned towards the crappy fuel that we're mostly forced to use these days.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It is hard to diagnose any driveability problem while you have sensor issues that can contribute to the problem.

The first step is to correct the known issues and go from there.

Look in the FSM manual for the proper gap. I think it's 0.39-0.43. Check all your vacuum lines in and around the intake. Check your spark plug wires. Also get your o2 sensor issue fixed. It could be giving the computer false readings causing the motor to run lean resulting in the plugs fouling out. While the engine is running check to make sure your injectors are working using a mechanics stethoscope. You should hear each injector ticking. It's all in the EC section of the factory FSM manuals.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So... I went outside to pull the distributor cap and clean the points... open the hood and seen this... Don't think this is right....

19197729_1562209860469534_315099657_o_zp

Is that plug melted?

If so it's well worth getting a new one and seeing if that helps... If not your only out a couple bucks at a junk yard.

Edit: that could definitely cause a miss.

Edited by Remus92

To check EGR valve function put your finger under it and Rev the engine. You should feel it rise up when engine RPMs are 2000. In your picture that could definitely be your problem. Looks like someone has messed with the wires for some reason. A wire could be frayed and not making 100% contact. Get your o2 sensor fixed 1st and see if that solves your issue. I have a 98 Pathy that has a slight miss @ idle, but no check engine light. I've checked everything known to man and the miss is so faint it's hardly noticeable. It's sounds to me you have a small vacuum leak somewhere. Like I said get that o2 fixed 1ST.

Also when I say check the FSM MANUAL I'm not talking about your owners manual. Go to Google and type in Nissan factory service manuals you should be able to locate the website that way click on the year model of your Pathfinder and go from there it's all located in the EC section of the manuals