Can't find No help so one more post!

maddmark1981

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here.

Awhile ago the battery was draining off and on, some days it worked fine while other days 3 battery wouldn't get me 30km down the road. All the while my power windows were on the fritz, as I'd go to power them to go up they were slow and other times they would not work accompanied by clicking and humming near the dash or door on passenger side. Also my power locks would lock and unlock at totally random times, locked my keys in one day. Then all of a sudden the locks and power windows would not work at all. Now there's no power to anything, no power mirrors, dash lights , windshield wipers nothing . I checked all the fuses in the dash drivers side but all are fine. I cannot get my passenger door open now cause the lock rod in the door will not come up.

So here's what I did. I took the alternator off and washed it out with degreaser and put it back in. The alternator started smoking and then one of the smaller positive wires on my batt caught on fire. I fixed the wire and all seemed well, no power anything but I drove all night on a single charged batt. I have no idea what to do now and I need to get this fixed. I'm completely broke and need to tackle this myself, can you please help?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like there is damaged wiring somewhere. When you cleaned your alt out I feel as if the insulation on the windings could have been compromised or damaged more. When it smoked on you, that may have been the windings shorting together shorting the positive lead to ground. It's really hard to say what it is but is your alt putting out any current at all?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would take a look at the fusible links at the battery. If you have no power to anything that is the place to start. Squeeze the colored links and feel for a hot or very soft one. They are the 50 amp fuses so you could check for continuity if you take them off of the battery side and probe the ends of the connections. 0 is good on the ohms.... infinity is bad!

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

When I put the washed out alternator back in it wasn't dry or something moved inside when I was hitting it with the air compressor. When I plugged the alternator into the harness located in pic. Under air filter the wire which was green now replaced with heavier red wire and black taped caught a fire. The alternator also was smoking intensely. After replacing both wires taped I got stereo, wipers, mirrors, but still no windows, locks or blower motor for heater & a/c294a77062d5fe7a9ab67abf9b758be31.jpgcdf192328adc5e38965f43db9102663e.jpg

You have so many threads going about this, I can't keep track. You had found a melted fusible link, did that ever get repaired?

You have so many threads going about this, I can't keep track. You had found a melted fusible link, did that ever get repaired?

Yes I just repaired that and checked the FL on the multimeter all good now

I am not sure how much of this will apply to yours, I am looking at the diagrams for a 92 with vg30e in North America.

Unless I missed something, the only thing I see that all items your still having trouble with have in common is the body ground behind the passenger kick panel.

There is a circuit breaker for the windows and locks that should be under the dash to the left of the fuse block. You could check the output and make sure you have power.

Get the wiring diagrams for your vehicle and pick one item and troubleshoot until it is fixed. I think you may have multiple problems and trying to fix all at once will cause frustration.

• Like 3

Looking at ur pix, I would say you may have a grounding problem. Ur pretty much on an island surrounded by salt water. Bare metal clean, ur grounding points and reassemble using NeverSieze(or equivalent). Electricity will always find the shortest route to ground.

Security Tech, journeyman, 27 yrs.

Update findings....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure how much of this will apply to yours, I am looking at the diagrams for a 92 with vg30e in North America.

Unless I missed something, the only thing I see that all items your still having trouble with have in common is the body ground behind the passenger kick panel.

There is a circuit breaker for the windows and locks that should be under the dash to the left of the fuse block. You could check the output and make sure you have power.

Get the wiring diagrams for your vehicle and pick one item and troubleshoot until it is fixed. I think you may have multiple problems and trying to fix all at once will cause frustration.

Thanks a lot buddy, much appreciated