Possibly a dumb question.

rc_cola_j

So, I changed all 4 O2 sensors today. Was getting P0138 and P0158 codes randomly....managed to only lose one set of pliers in the engine bay, so I'd say it was a success!

Anyways, while I was crawling about in there, I noticed that my right strut mount has a big "L" on it. As well, my left strut mount has a big "R" on it. How bad is this?

I had my struts and a lot of other stuff replaced in the fall....what would this mistake result in?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm learning here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver side right or looking at the truck from the front?

Facing forward...driver's side is left.

• Like 1

What year Pathfinder? I'm only familiar with the wd21's IFS. If your talking about just your shock absorbers (or dampeners) then it shouldn't matter either way. If it's a MacPherson strut then they usually have a right and left. If you haven't noticed a difference in ride or tire wear I wouldn't worry about it. Take it with a grain of salt until someone else chimes in.

RC may not know what it's truly supposed "feel" like. He, like the rest of us, probably bought the truck used.

Mine was 3 y/o w/72000 K on it(possibly a lease return). I drove Marvin for the 1st time and it was Metallic Sherwood Green, ARE U KIDDING ME?!?!?! I was in love! I fondly remember that memory but that was 14 y/ago. Hence the massive referbishment of him now.

He's acquired "Town Truck" status as he scares me on the hwy now.

Id say R is right & L is left...sitting in the drivers seat. My perception. Is there a standard when it comes to this. An ISO 9003somethinerother Global law. If so, WHAT THE HELL IS IT??? Anyone??

• Like 1

What year Pathfinder? I'm only familiar with the wd21's IFS. If your talking about just your shock absorbers (or dampeners) then it shouldn't matter either way. If it's a MacPherson strut then they usually have a right and left. If you haven't noticed a difference in ride or tire wear I wouldn't worry about it. Take it with a grain of salt until someone else chimes in.

It's 2000 R50

The struts are in on the proper side. It's just the mounts at the top where they attach to the body that I'm concerned about. I think they are also called strut bearings?

RC may not know what it's truly supposed "feel" like. He, like the rest of us, probably bought the truck used.

Mine was 3 y/o w/72000 K on it(possibly a lease return). I drove Marvin for the 1st time and it was Metallic Sherwood Green, ARE U KIDDING ME?!?!?! I was in love! I fondly remember that memory but that was 14 y/ago. Hence the massive referbishment of him now.

He's acquired "Town Truck" status as he scares me on the hwy now.

Id say R is right & L is left...sitting in the drivers seat. My perception. Is there a standard when it comes to this. An ISO 9003somethinerother Global law. If so, WHAT THE HELL IS IT??? Anyone??

I did buy the Pathy used.....She is my second vehicle.....my first was a 1980 Ford F250. That was so easy to work on compared to this vehicle. I grew up in a big city and didn't even start driving until my later 20s which were just a few years ago. I have no idea what something is supposed to feel like. Hence why I'm worried about asking dumb questions, lol

My front end feels loose...like there is lots of play in it. I've been trying to track down a rattle as well.....I though I had it when I found the sway bar bushings were missing. I swapped new ones in. the ride got better, but still loose and rattly.

Those are your upper coil buckets (others have referred to them as top hats). IIRC, both have the same markings, just get positioned differently depending on which side they're mounted on. There is also a corresponding notch that denotes coil positioning. Unfortunately, without either laying eyes on mine, or looking it up in the FSM, I don't recall the exact position the marks should be in. If you have downloaded a copy of the FSM, take a look there, otherwise (if nobody else chimes in) I'll look into it for you. The FSM is a very resourceful tool to have.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey rc, can you define the noises u hear? Like does it make the sounds ALL the time or only when u hit bumps or travel rough roads? Steering: what are the condition/quality are ur tires? I just swapped the'02 le rims & tires onto Marvin b4 driving out to the 'Wack on Sunday-holy crap what a difference-I'd say 80% less Death Wobble (paid $300 for 4 decent nissan 6 spoke & new tires on Friday)and looks GREAT TOO!

Maybe tie rod ends: w/a helper at the unlocked steering whl & engine off, get underneath the front end w/a good light and have them turn the wheel slightly back & forth to check for excess play/movement. Are they still full of grease(they should be plump) or even have g nipples? I dont think my stock ones do. Previous owner may have been a "foot on brake and turn the steering wheel" type of owner-premature failure factor.

BTW, did you grease those new end links? This time, for s#its & giggles I decided to READ the piece of paper that came in the package: it said to "ensure you fill the links w/grease before driving vehicle" Moog. I'm sure I cooked the prior set cuz I didn't read the instructions, just sayin.

Hey rc, can you define the noises u hear? Like does it make the sounds ALL the time or only when u hit bumps or travel rough roads? Steering: what are the condition/quality are ur tires? I just swapped the'02 le rims & tires onto Marvin b4 driving out to the 'Wack on Sunday-holy crap what a difference-I'd say 80% less Death Wobble (paid $300 for 4 decent nissan 6 spoke & new tires on Friday)and looks GREAT TOO!

Maybe tie rod ends: w/a helper at the unlocked steering whl & engine off, get underneath the front end w/a good light and have them turn the wheel slightly back & forth to check for excess play/movement. Are they still full of grease(they should be plump) or even have g nipples? I dont think my stock ones do. Previous owner may have been a "foot on brake and turn the steering wheel" type of owner-premature failure factor.

BTW, did you grease those new end links? This time, for s#its & giggles I decided to READ the piece of paper that came in the package: it said to "ensure you fill the links w/grease before driving vehicle" Moog. I'm sure I cooked the prior set cuz I didn't read the instructions, just sayin.

The sound....a clicking clacking and sometimes a clunk.

I crawled under there and noticed the control arm bushings are bad....control arms are the one thing I didn't replace. The other thing is there is a lot of side to side play in the CVs....no up and down, just side to side.

When driving....steering feels loose, as though I need to turn the wheel too much before it responds. The other thing is that sometimes she pulls to the right, sometimes to the left. We're obviously married

They go between the steering rack and the brackets that hold it to the rest of the truck. From what I've read, they tend to get oil on them, rot, and get loose, and then your steering gets iffy.

Thanks, I guess I'm pulling my skid plates off this weekend.