Want your thoughts..

rc_cola_j

So, my OCD is having me sit here planning out future engine repairs to my 2000 R50. I love this vehicle!

I'm facing the possibility over the next year of oil pump, timing belt/water pump/distributor, possibly a head gasket (am losing coolant+a little sludge under the oil cap)....those are the major, the minor work to the engine is longer, but more general upkeep at 315,000km and over.

Rebuilt engines don't seem to be that expensive....what are your thoughts? Repair or replace? What engine? Currently I'm running a VG33E...go for an VG33ER? A 3.5L?.....I had one friend suggest converting to diesel, another suggest dropping a chevy V6 in.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning RC, another beautiful day in paradise, hey? May I suggest the following factors: budget, time your Pathy will be out of commission, availability of parts/tools & equipment req'd, how long the "Boss" will tolerate having yer truck expoded all over the place-lol(wife's ability to ask "Soooo, how long is this going to take?", when I'm balls deep into a project is uncanny). The diesel option WOULD be cool, but I have NO idea how many systems would req complete change out or modification and subsequent availability of repair parts down the road.

There is someone on this forum (will find out who, ina bit) who is currently upgrading his dead(he drowned it in mud)VG33 to a VG35 and has a "progress" thread on the go right now(saw it the other day) with great pics and commentary on issues he's run into. It may be a little eye opening for you- I know it was for me. As I recall he's in Georgia cuz I noticed the bright red color of the mud-Lotsa iron oxide in the soil, where he lives.

I just PU'd a 2002 with a broken pass axle for $1K, body is in great shape...has a few minor things to fix as well. $130 for the tow from Coquitlam to Cloverdale. Found a removed & complete rear diff assy(180, K) in MR for $200(hoping gear ratio is the same, find out today), buddy's garage to do it all in-$0-PRICELESS!, just so I can have something to drive while Marvin(my green '01) gets all the new upgrade bits it so deserves. I will start a new build thread when that commences.

I'll let you ponder the preceeding comments....enjoy the rest of this fabulous long weekend!

Morning RC, another beautiful day in paradise, hey? May I suggest the following factors: budget, time your Pathy will be out of commission, availability of parts/tools & equipment req'd, how long the "Boss" will tolerate having yer truck expoded all over the place-lol(wife's ability to ask "Soooo, how long is this going to take?", when I'm balls deep into a project is uncanny). The diesel option WOULD be cool, but I have NO idea how many systems would req complete change out or modification and subsequent availability of repair parts down the road.

There is someone on this forum (will find out who, ina bit) who is currently upgrading his dead(he drowned it in mud)VG33 to a VG35 and has a "progress" thread on the go right now(saw it the other day) with great pics and commentary on issues he's run into. It may be a little eye opening for you- I know it was for me. As I recall he's in Georgia cuz I noticed the bright red color of the mud-Lotsa iron oxide in the soil, where he lives.

I just PU'd a 2002 with a broken pass axle for $1K, body is in great shape...has a few minor things to fix as well. $130 for the tow from Coquitlam to Cloverdale. Found a removed & complete rear diff assy(180, K) in MR for $200(hoping gear ratio is the same, find out today), buddy's garage to do it all in-$0-PRICELESS!, just so I can have something to drive while Marvin(my green '01) gets all the new upgrade bits it so deserves. I will start a new build thread when that commences.

I'll let you ponder the preceeding comments....enjoy the rest of this fabulous long weekend!

Thanks man! You have it right, another absolutely beauty day in paradise. Might go do a little fishing today!

Right now I'm trying to cost each option out....it's a repair or replace, and if replace, do so with what game right now.....just looking at numbers.

If I go with the replace option, more towing ability would be nice. I towed a trailer this weekend, a 1100 pound BBQ trailer, it towed fairly well except for the climb up the hill from town was a struggle. I am eyeing a camping trailer down the line.

8e6b19d2f5f03bb5c3e4bc25c8eeb603.jpg

Just want to see what ideas all of you have on engine swaps etc.

Its mjotrainbrain that's doing the VR35 upgrade to his truck. When you check it out, you will see the acreage that he ended up using for the swap-lol. His pics are great and he's been very detailed in his discriptions of the issues he has encountered. Remember: Work smart, NOT hard! Cheers

• Like 1

My buddy Ben towed a 4200 lb + travel trailer from Quebec last year w/no issues...except when his master brake cylinder failed on a hill coming down into Penticton. He said that was "shorts change worthy"-LOL.

His "was" a VERY rusty '96. ICBC wanted an inspection for it to be insured in BC...he said, screw it and bought another PF ('99) for $1200.

His "was" a VERY rusty '96. ICBC wanted an inspection for it to be insured in BC...he said, screw it and bought another PF ('99) for $1200.

Oh, don't get me started on ICBC and their cash-grabbing standards.

So, what I would do is find yourself another VG33E block and go through it, top to bottom (I'm sure there are some aftermarket parts available), but specifically focus on porting/polishing the heads, any valve upgrades available and installing upgraded cams. Smooth out your intakes and exhaust manifolds, consider high flow cats, but definitely go with a after market/custom cat back exhaust. When your old motor tires/fails, swap the waiting one in with mostly stock components, and enjoy a fresh motor that performs 10-20% over stock.

For road vehicles that has always been my strategy: Stock motor (maybe cam replacement) and peripherals (unless there is an inhibiting/fail prone component) for reliability, and then make it breathe like a cheetah and fart like an ox. Just think of an engine as a self driven air pump; as long as it has sufficient fuel, all it wants is all the air it can draw and not having it backed up on the way out. Oversimplification, but you get the point.

You might want to consider setting all of this up and then doing the swap on your own schedule. Not only is it more convenient, but then you have a running motor to sell... ;)

BTW, unless you are extraordinarily hard on vehicles, you shouldn't be having issues. The VG series is known for 250k miles (400k km) without major issue at norm; we have a 1999.0 with 300k km that runs flawlessly.

B

So, what I would do is find yourself another VG33E block and go through it, top to bottom (I'm sure there are some aftermarket parts available), but specifically focus on porting/polishing the heads, any valve upgrades available and installing upgraded cams. Smooth out your intakes and exhaust manifolds, consider high flow cats, but definitely go with a after market/custom cat back exhaust. When your old motor tires/fails, swap the waiting one in with mostly stock components, and enjoy a fresh motor that performs 10-20% over stock.

For road vehicles that has always been my strategy: Stock motor (maybe cam replacement) and peripherals (unless there is an inhibiting/fail prone component) for reliability, and then make it breathe like a cheetah and fart like an ox. Just think of an engine as a self driven air pump; as long as it has sufficient fuel, all it wants is all the air it can draw and not having it backed up on the way out. Oversimplification, but you get the point.

You might want to consider setting all of this up and then doing the swap on your own schedule. Not only is it more convenient, but then you have a running motor to sell... ;)

BTW, unless you are extraordinarily hard on vehicles, you shouldn't be having issues. The VG series is known for 250k miles (400k km) without major issue at norm; we have a 1999.0 with 300k km that runs flawlessly.

B

Beauty, thanks.

Just curious, would a vg33ER fit?