R50 Front Bumper Build

Hey everyone! I've noticed that most of the aftermarket off-road bumpers suuuuuck. So I, like most of you, decided to build my own. I jumped on Solid Works and busted out a good mock up. I wont post dimensions until I know everything fits correctly. I don't want people thinking that these are spot on and sending them to a shop only to realize I done fskced up... ANYWAYS enjoy and let me know what you all think!

PathBISO.pngPathBT.pngPathBTop.pngPathBR.pngPathBL.png

• Like 6

Looks great! Don't forget the turn signal lights!

I'd also recommend adding holes for screws in the middle/top for a light bar - imitating those jeep bull bars.

• Like 1

Looks good. Why the beveled ends on the bar though? Seems like an awkward thing to cut.

I beveled to ends because that is the exact width that I wanted to match the fender flairs. Ill add a plate to the ends to make them flush. It wont be to hard to cut, ill just use a chop saw.

• Like 2

Looks great! Don't forget the turn signal lights!

I'd also recommend adding holes for screws in the middle/top for a light bar - imitating those jeep bull bars.

Turn signal lights? All I have on the original bumper is fog lights.

I have been debating if I want a light bar.... I most likely will haha. I also need to run tubing down to the frame. Ive noticed that there are two locations you can mount bumpers.

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm interested to see how this turns out. Similar to the style I've been eyeballing, was looking to get some measurements of a WJ (seems similar to the R50 in width) and relocate the mounting points. Have been looking at this one:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222454119632

That looks good! I've heard of people using jeep bumpers on their pathfinders, Good luck!

He was probably referring to the 96-99's as the front turn signals are mounted in the bumper. Others have successfully used XJ jeep bumpers, but I haven't found one I've liked, your design looks good. As for mounting points, it's best to use a combination of the stock upper mounting point and lower tow hook mounts. That'll give you enough strength for winching and such.

Mounts wise this is how I made mine. I connected upper and lower factory mounts with 3/8 plate which was slotted to fit the 4x4 tube that is the bulk of the bumper. It's definitely stronger than the vehicle frame it's mounted to.

41ySxW6h.jpg

qqXWZAoh.jpg

It'd be pretty easy to adapt this to your design I'm thinking if you felt so inclined.

• Like 2

He was probably referring to the 96-99's as the front turn signals are mounted in the bumper. Others have successfully used XJ jeep bumpers, but I haven't found one I've liked, your design looks good. As for mounting points, it's best to use a combination of the stock upper mounting point and lower tow hook mounts. That'll give you enough strength for winching and such.

I think using both mounts will work the best. I can also incorporate tow hooks that are in line with the factory mounts. Thanks for the info!

Mounts wise this is how I made mine. I connected upper and lower factory mounts with 3/8 plate which was slotted to fit the 4x4 tube that is the bulk of the bumper. It's definitely stronger than the vehicle frame it's mounted to.

41ySxW6h.jpg

qqXWZAoh.jpg

It'd be pretty easy to adapt this to your design I'm thinking if you felt so inclined.

Sweet bumper! I am definitely going to use both mounting locations! And, I will probably do some minor bolt on sheet metal pieces to protect all the @!*% Nissan decided to put behind the bumper, or just relocate it.

• Like 1

Sweet bumper! I am definitely going to use both mounting locations! And, I will probably do some minor bolt on sheet metal pieces to protect all the @!*% Nissan decided to put behind the bumper, or just relocate it.

Thanks! Any idea if your bumper will be large enough to completely protect the windshield washer reservoir and airbox, or is that what you were referring to? Skidplates aside that is the only thing that worries me about my bumper, I'm going to have to relocate the reservoir for sure.

Thanks! Any idea if your bumper will be large enough to completely protect the windshield washer reservoir and airbox, or is that what you were referring to? Skidplates aside that is the only thing that worries me about my bumper, I'm going to have to relocate the reservoir for sure.

Ill have to do some measurments and see if it will protect them. I will probably do a PVC and carboard mock up just to see what its going to look like.

• Like 1

Just a warning when it comes to custom front bumpers, you'll probably want to mod your airbox. When you remove the stock bumper you expose the stock air intake.

Excellent point! Don't want to suck any water in! Lots of good "food for thought" here.
  • Like 1

Just a warning when it comes to custom front bumpers, you'll probably want to mod your airbox. When you remove the stock bumper you expose the stock air intake.

Excellent point! Don't want to suck any water in! Lots of good "food for thought" here.

Oh yeah absolutely, I mean, the OEM didn't do a great job either. I'm thinking about pulling air from the inner fender or the CAL.

Nissan has SO MUCH crap in their engine bays its hard to reroute anything. I originally had a Chevy Blazer ZR2 and its unbelievable how much less wires and hoses and sensors and blah blah blah. But, I do enjoy the extra 100hp that comes with the Pathfinder.

I'm thinking about pulling air from the inner fender or the CAL.

The stock air inlet itself is already tucked up inside the fender, but the airbox shoots straight down in behind the stock bumper, and then routes air up through a hole in the sheet metal into the filter box which is inside the engine bay. The problem with it is that it's full of holes which let water and gunk into the intake system even when it's hidden behind the bumper, and it's only made out of plastic. I gutted all that when I installed my snorkel, but iirc the airbox drops down at least as low as the windshield washer reservoir, maybe even a little lower. So it's not really the inlet itself that is the weak point in the system, the weak point is the air box.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...