93 Pathy Project Build...SUV or UTV...or not?

Hey all! So I just picked up this 93 Pathy today..for $750. Zero Rust, slight drip in the water pump, and a slight shift in the front left bumper mount, but all in all, runs great... 182K. esthetically...it's a 5, interior is a 4, but overall mechanical is a 7.5...

So, I'm torn between turning it into a Semi Good Weekend small-Rock Crawler, or stripping it, pulling the doors, building out a roll cage and gutting it and making it into a Side-By Side UTV with buckets in front and back...yanking the liftgate, cutting out part of the roof and pretty much turning it into a Street Legal Polaris variant...

So, lets take a vote!!

I already have a 95 pathy daily driver with a 3" lift kit, but this looks like fun!

What do you think???

~Hans

NOTE:** I was attempting to upload a pic to Photobucket, but the damn site is so overwhelmed with ads that it wouldn't even let me upload around the 40 ad popups..Wow...Do we have a different site that we can use? This forum wont accept google photo links...***

Any ideas??

Thanks!

I vote for the utv.

I would like to know why this forum is so limited on where it will accept pics. There are only a few sites it will use. I am going in circles with Photobucket on my laptop right now. Everytime I try to upload it logs me out.

Photobucket really is a dumpster fire. It used to work pretty well, so of course they updated it and made everything look slick but not work. I remember someone brought up a better option a while back and I thought, I should look into that, but then I never got around to it.

Buggy-style could be fun, especially if you've got another one to keep nice.

Seems like a Deja Vu here? (This is a variation of a post I made before the site went bat$#!t last week)

So,

I had an opportunity to pickup a sister Pathfinder for my 95 Pathfinder Roamer last week. I found a pathy on Craigslist and walked away (after even having them deliver it to the house!) with a 1993 Pathfinder for $750. Currently has 182K on the speedo, and it's in relatively great shape!

The original question was...Taking a poll...what do you guys think I should do with it? Fix it up and have a great, low-cost sister for the 95 Pathy, or Tear it down and pull off all the doors, build in a roll cage, and turn it into a Polaris upgrade Side by Side UTV with buckets in front and back?

Let me know your thoughts!!

(Yes...$750!!)

~Hans

(In the previous thread I mentioned that I had issues posting with Photobucket, and have switched now to Imgur, and it's AWESOME, and SIMPLE.)

Pics of the build as it was on day 1 when I bought it (May 6th)

o5pnj6b.jpg

RTxkPdq.jpg

Yes...

<DAY TWO>

So I decided to take a quick visit to my closest Pull and Pay (Nice place in Glendale on Northern and 67th) and found 4 pathfinders. On my printout, one was a 1995, and the other 3 were 1998, 2001 and 2004. Checked out the 1995 and found a few things that would be handy, then noticed that the "1998" was actually a 1993 with a NEAR PERFECT dash...as in ZERO Cracks anywhere on the dash. What Sorcery is this? A Pathfinder dash with no cracks? So, a few hours and a slight farmer tan later, I depart for the house with a complete dash, center console and armrest...all a bit dirty, but with zero cracks and all fully functional!!

As a reference point, I'm posting pics of the "current interior" which I will describe as "80's confusion"...

CURRENT INTERIOR

M6lMdcj.jpg

x1Exw39.jpg

Jg9clK7.jpg

yIe2kue.jpg

<DAY THREE>

So I brought home the new dash and center console, along with a really nice Tow Hitch assembly, all together cost me $170...

New Dash Pics Follow: (Bear in mind, dash is dusty and needs to be cleaned. I'll post pics when it's installed...and the removal of the old dash as well.

6EtF2zN.jpg

LG2qIgY.jpg

DkoPBz8.jpg

aHv0KgN.jpg

<DAY THREE CONT'D>

Pulled the rear bumper off to install the Tow Hitch, and decided to do a little Rustoleum Black Magic on the rear frame. So Day Three looks promising!!

EpM6K0f.jpg

Z3V04rG.jpg

I have NO IDEA HOW this post ended up on top and in front of my thread...??

And now this post has hijacked my thread...LOL

lol that was my fault, I am working on it ;)

Resolved. After having to do a manual restoration of the entire database (auto restore failed) there was a few orphaned posts that claimed sequential topic numbers. So when you posted, it claimed the new topic since it was mistakenly linked to the new, but previously unused, topic number.
  • Like 1

UPDATE: Got started late on pulling the old dash, so I'll have to finish it in the am. Got the old dash out, and put the new one in for a fit check. All good, just have to swap the VIN plate in the morning as well. I've been shooting pics throughout the whole process, and I'm considering doing a complete thread just on removal and installation of the dash by itself. Let me know if there's any interest, and I'll start putting together the images.

kR2RuSZ.jpg

c3oayh8.jpg

New Dash ("Newer", anyway..no cracks!) Installed just for a fit check.

dkLtiQY.jpg

More to come tomorrow!!

~Hans

• Like 1

Hey all! So I just picked up this 93 Pathy today..for $750. Zero Rust, slight drip in the water pump, and a slight shift in the front left bumper mount, but all in all, runs great... 182K. esthetically...it's a 5, interior is a 4, but overall mechanical is a 7.5...

So, I'm torn between turning it into a Semi Good Weekend small-Rock Crawler, or stripping it, pulling the doors, building out a roll cage and gutting it and making it into a Side-By Side UTV with buckets in front and back...yanking the liftgate, cutting out part of the roof and pretty much turning it into a Street Legal Polaris variant...

So, lets take a vote!!

I already have a 95 pathy daily driver with a 3" lift kit, but this looks like fun!

What do you think???

~Hans

NOTE:** I was attempting to upload a pic to Photobucket, but the damn site is so overwhelmed with ads that it wouldn't even let me upload around the 40 ad popups..Wow...Do we have a different site that we can use? This forum wont accept google photo links...***

Any ideas??

Thanks!

***ADDITIONAL UPDATE: My wife decided that she REALLY likes this truck, so she has taken claim on it (since I already have another pathfinder) and she wants to keep the safari roof rack and have me add a number of "upgrades" to the truck along with the new dash and center console!! Now, normally I may have argued this point, but one of the people I was talking to about a different pathfinder called back yesterday and said they'd let their pathfinder go for an even lower price, so I ended up with ANOTHER Pathfinder (1994, 4WD) yesterday afternoon...for $350. So, THAT Pathy will become the UTV Side-by-Side!! I'll put together an additional Thread on THAT one since this one is already going a different direction!

~Hans

Man, you seem to be able to find great deals. Keep up the good work (and pics!) This one does seem a little too clean to cut up. Can't wait to see the UTV build.

• Like 1

I am very interested in a how to for the dash. I have done a lot of work on my Pathfinder, it is near mint inside and out except for my really really cracked dash. Do you live in Glendale CA? Pathy is looking good!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<UPDATE: May 14th>

Ran through three of the major salvage yards here in Phoenix today and didn't come across much of value. Got back home and finished the install of the new dash. Still going to have to do some minor stuff, but everything works as advertised, and I even swapped out the 1993 steering wheel with the steering wheel from the 94 I got on Friday. Have to fit the horn pad, but the pics show at least a bit more progress. The steering column cover that I brought from the junkyard is pretty screwed up, as most of them are I've found. I'm going to have to do some surgery on it so that it will work, otherwise I'll have to repaint the painted cover that was already on it...yeech.

More pics coming...

ZGf2yos.jpg

LeFEiXi.jpg

Much better! Not sure what the last guy was thinking with the paint choices.

I've been running no clamshell since I put my dash back in--the old clamshell was in such bad shape it didn't seem worth reinstalling. One of these days I plan to build something a little more rugged to replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very interested in a how to for the dash. I have done a lot of work on my Pathfinder, it is near mint inside and out except for my really really cracked dash. Do you live in Glendale CA? Pathy is looking good!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Live in Phoenix