I didn't mean to buy a Pathfinder

neilca

My name is Neil, I live in a suburbs of NW Atlanta and going to retire as an Engineer for a large aerospace firm this year. I am not only an Engineer but also a Welder and Machinist too, which turns out to be a dangerous combination. I have been road racing cars via the SCCA for over 40 years. I have two National Championships as a crew chief on a GT4 car. Currently, I am driving a Radical Prosport on track days. Married with one daughter who will be going to UGA this fall.

I was approached by a coworker to see if I was interested in a 1999 Pathfinder with a bad transmission. At first he wanted too much for the vehicle considering it needed an automatic gearbox. I turned down the vehicle at first. I drive a 350Z everyday and I thought it would be good to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle to go to the gun club since it is down a dirt road. So I started looking for a Land Rover. Time went by and I never really found what I was looking for. I happened to be talking to the fellow that owned the Pathfinder one day and he mentioned he had reduced his price to a value I could live with, so I brought it home. Glad I did, Nissan parts are a lot cheaper than Land Rover.

First up fix the transmission.....

Welcome to our little corner of the internet. I come from Subarus, and like you, was excited and surprised to see just how cheap these things are to keep running. I'm sure you're aware, but pics make us happy. Both of your Pathy and your race car!

I do have pictures, but could not figure out how to post them on this site. I checked the stickeys but nothing stuck out. Can you point me in the right direction?

IIRC it was the direct link until the last forum update, now it wants the direct link--or at least that's how I've been doing it. I host on Photobucket (which is a steaming pile, I may change hosts at some point if I find something better), click the picture of a tree above the text box (between the hyperlink tools and the < >), paste the direct link, and it shows up.

Good luck with the trans! And enjoy the fact that you don't have Lucas electronics to contend with.

Now the Pathfinder

Slide1_2.jpg

Slide2_1.jpg

Slide3_1.jpg

The interior and exterior are in great shape, the mechanicals are in need. I can do mechanicals :)

Wow, the pathy looks very clean.

You need a lift on the little red car, won't get very far in the woods with it like that. 😀

My plan is to rebuild the transmission. I had already pulled the valve body and replaced the solenoids hoping that was the problem. While I was in there I installed a Transgo shift/fix kit. So now I will go in and replace the other wear parts.