Extending brake lines, whats a good deal?

I currently have a 2.5" lift in the front, 3" in the rear of my 2001 r50. I know if I'm going to do a sfd at some point, I need longer brake lines. Would it be appropriate to do them before the sfd regardless? If so, what is a good recommendation?

I'm kinda looking for good value, because it's a bit of a slow, budget build. Anyone have good experiences with longer lines?

I personally went with these from goodridge. : http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/77A3671A2706469.aspx

it is 4" longer than oem and all Stainless steel (braided)... Never had an issue.

Wow, sounds great. I assume these will be plenty long enough. I'm not planning on doing anything more than 2-4" for the subframe. Edited by CortlandCH
  • Like 1

I have a brake line from a Nissan pickup (D21 I think?) that supposedly fits, and is definitely quite a bit longer than stock. This is only a solution for the rear. If you're interested I can go find mine and give you the part number. Haven't installed it yet because I still have stock shocks.

I have a brake line from a Nissan pickup (D21 I think?) that supposedly fits, and is definitely quite a bit longer than stock. This is only a solution for the rear. If you're interested I can go find mine and give you the part number. Haven't installed it yet because I still have stock shocks.

Yeah, I still have stock shocks as well :laugh:

Ideally, I'm putting together all the parts I need to do the sfd, and when I finally have it all, I'll put it together. I was mostly curious about making sure the lines will be long enough, especially under flex.

If you can find part numbers, I'll start comparing around. I appreciate it!

Quick question related to brake lines: I have 2.5" spacers all the way around but my coils are so worn out you can barely tell its lifted, so I'm gonna get new ones, the question is if I get the ARB coils, which give about a half inch of lift, will I need longer brake lines at because I have 3" of lift all the way around? I also saw a video where a guy with a toyota truck just bought two sets of soft brake lines and attached two together on each side for double length brake lines at OEM prices, is this feasible for us or is that just toyotas?

• Like 1

Also, I'm pretty sure that if I used the AC 2" coils, for 4.5" of total lift, wouldn't that be too tall for more than just the brake lines, like I'd need a SFD? I'm RWD so no CVs to worry about, but I figured there'd be too many limiting factors in the stock suspension. Just curious.

Quick question related to brake lines: I have 2.5" spacers all the way around but my coils are so worn out you can barely tell its lifted, so I'm gonna get new ones, the question is if I get the ARB coils, which give about a half inch of lift, will I need longer brake lines at because I have 3" of lift all the way around? I also saw a video where a guy with a toyota truck just bought two sets of soft brake lines and attached two together on each side for double length brake lines at OEM prices, is this feasible for us or is that just toyotas?

If you still have stock length shocks you'll be fine as far as brake lines are concerned. I have stock everything in the rear except Old Man Emu (ARB) coils and 2" spacers and although it's been fine I would like to get longer shocks, install the longer brake line I have laying around, and reroute the diff breather. If you're going to buy more soft brake lines, just buy the one for a D21 Nissan pickup. Supposedly a direct fit and longer than stock.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if I used the AC 2" coils, for 4.5" of total lift, wouldn't that be too tall for more than just the brake lines, like I'd need a SFD? I'm RWD so no CVs to worry about, but I figured there'd be too many limiting factors in the stock suspension. Just curious.

Your shocks should limit them from being damaged or pulled too hard. I would look into the lines discussed earlier, and then start to do some looking at your own suspension.

I would support the body of the vehicle, then just keep lifting it and see how far down the axle drops (for the rear), and start measuring how much play you have from there with your brake lines.

To be fair, with stock brake lines, I was able to drop the axle about a couple inches to the ground (after disconnecting the shocks) to do my lift while jack stands held the body at the correct height. There's plenty of line for the rear, but lengthening it really helps add peace of mind!

FWIW, I run the OE Nissan brake lines that I linked to previously, my rear shocks are 4" longer than stock (with about 3" of lift), and 3" SFD (about 4" of front lift)...no issues. I've put it through the paces, too.

Thanks all, I think I'm gonna go with ARB coils and I'll get the d21 brake lines just in case I put it all together and its stretched. Just curious Hawairish, what shocks are you using? I just put on a set of Rancho rs5000s which I think are slightly above OEM length. And why does everyone seem to use KYB GR-2s? Are The longer or tougher or something? The mechanics in my shop say that KYBS are often defective, I have Monroe's up front cause they're our main supplier, discounts!

Monroe Reflex 911194, for an F250/F350 RWD. Requires some bushing manipulation/swapping...right size bolt holes, just wrong ends of the shock. I ended up having the bushings removed, then used from poly bushings instead.

If you still have stock length shocks you'll be fine as far as brake lines are concerned. I have stock everything in the rear except Old Man Emu (ARB) coils and 2" spacers and although it's been fine I would like to get longer shocks, install the longer brake line I have laying around, and reroute the diff breather. If you're going to buy more soft brake lines, just buy the one for a D21 Nissan pickup. Supposedly a direct fit and longer than stock.

Any clue what year on the D21? Just trying to be sure. The 97 one, right?

From what I found, the stock lines for the Pathfinder are 22.25" in total length.

The lines for the D21, however, are only 17.25".

The Rear brake hose though is longer than stock, with the D21 being 20.6", but the pathfinder at 16".

The part number (Dorman) for the rear line is H380511, if you're curious.

Not sure you checked the link I posted...

15042115: 2008-2013 Nissan Rogue, front right

15042116: 2008-2013 Nissan Rogue, front left
15042354: 1998-2004 Nissan Frontier, 2000-2004 Nissan Xterra, rear w/ VDC

Pathfinder:

Centric_15042351_Rear_Brake_Line_-_Pathf

Frontier/Xterra:

Centric_15042354_Rear_Brake_Line_-_Xterr

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

Not sure you checked the link I posted...

Pathfinder:

Centric_15042351_Rear_Brake_Line_-_Pathf

Frontier/Xterra:

Centric_15042354_Rear_Brake_Line_-_Xterr

Not sure if I just did the math wrong or something but when I first saw that post I thought they were pretty close to stock. Rethinking it, yeah they're a tad longer.

Since we're all talking about brakes and shocks now, any suggestions on sway bar links?

Only numbers that matter here are 536mm - 415mm = 121mm = 4.76". Less than I put in my other post, but still plenty longer.

For sway bar end links, on the rear you could do a bracket spacer, or make your own links. I made a disconnect-able set, but hadn't gotten past figuring out how to pin the sway bar up. Many others will advocate just removing the bar.

• Like 1

Only numbers that matter here are 536mm - 415mm = 121mm = 4.76". Less than I put in my other post, but still plenty longer.

For sway bar end links, on the rear you could do a bracket spacer, or make your own links. I made a disconnect-able set, but hadn't gotten past figuring out how to pin the sway bar up. Many others will advocate just removing the bar.

I just heard you needed to have longer links or something because the rear sway bar gets out of whack. Sounds great tho!

Well, sway bars work best when level, so longer links are usually required to offset that. But, for small lifts, it's not really a problem.

On the flip side, there are some donkey Chevy/GMC trucks I see around my area that have 6-8" lift, didn't bother with longer links, and the sway bars (which wrap around the backside of the diff) hang down like a hook on a Navy jet. Looks stupid.

• Like 1

Ended up buying all three of the ones Hawairish noted. I'm a parts retailer at Advance Auto, so I popped all the specs into an order and just got them today. They're significantly longer than stock, I'm super excited! Thanks a ton.

Edited by CortlandCH

Everyone who says you're fine on stock brake lines with stock shocks may be forgetting that you have that 2.5" spacer.

(I'm not sure stock lines have that much slack).

About spring lift....you can lift with springs further than most because you have no cv joints to worry about.

But without a SFD, just lifting with springs and spacers, you introduce bump-steer, if that bothers you, you also need to fix your camber, which isn't adjustable--so you need camber bolts.

And give much lift with springs, and you can experience top-out. When the wheel drops down the strut rams against its stop and makes a loud, frightening sound.

So those are some things to consider.

• Like 1