Windshield washer pump

My washer jets only come about 2 inches up the window now. I cleaned out the nozzles with a needle and no change. I figure I need to replace the washer pump. I assume like most it is attached to the tank. But you can't even see the tank in this truck.

Has anyone replaced their pump and know how hard it was, and the basic steps?

Thanks

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Where the lines run on the underside of the hood there's small check valves before each nozzle, I've had those clog up tons of times and usually soaking them in hot water and then filling the resovoir with hot water and pumping it through helped clear them up.

Other than that you could have a leaf in the tank blocking the pump inlet which is only the size of a dime.

Lastly would be the pump but in my experience it's the former 2.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll try to clean out first and if it doesn't work, I may have some more questions.

When I've had washer issues, it went from spraying to not spraying at all. +1 on dirt somewhere. If you can follow the hoses, I'd also check for leaks on the off chance your pressure is going somewhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

I followed my hoses from the base of the jet to where it enters the wheel well, and I don't have check valves. Can anyone send a picture?

I was wondering if they weren't replaced when my hood was painted. The jets worked fine for a year after the paint.

How do the jets come out? I expected a nut at the bottom. It feels like sort of a triangle that you'd squeeze together and push them out. Though the sides didn't seem very flexible.

I followed my hoses from the base of the jet to where it enters the wheel well, and I don't have check valves. Can anyone send a picture?

I was wondering if they weren't replaced when my hood was painted. The jets worked fine for a year after the paint.

How do the jets come out? I expected a nut at the bottom. It feels like sort of a triangle that you'd squeeze together and push them out. Though the sides didn't seem very flexible.

Yes you just squeeze both sides and they pull out. I don't think you have a pump problem it seems more like a clogging problem. I would pull the hoses off blow through and maybe even blow some air through and just try to clean everything real good if you hear your pump then your pump is working fine I'm sure. Good luck. When I first got my pathfinder my washer pumps didn't work at all. All fuses were good I ended up having to change the washer amp. Mine was bad. The washer amp I believe that's what it's called controls your wiper delay. Any way thought I'd share.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I took my jets out of the hood, and pulled the hoses off at the T. As it visually appeared, I have no check valves on the front washers. Blowing through them, they seem to flow as good as I'd expect. I broke the hose retainer putting the hose back through.

Running the pump with the hose removed at the T, the water only comes out about 1 inch, and I can pretty easily stop it with my finger. All this is pretty hard to judge good/bad since I don't know what it was like when it worked well. When I was holding pressure, I didn't find anything dripping from the areas where the hose runs back to the pump.

I removed the wheel well liner. It's 3 pop rivets, and 4 screws. I broke 2 of the pop rivets. Fortunately I bought extras. The washer pump setup is crazy. I can't figure it out. The service manual has incomplete information. There is no detailed view of the reservoir or plumbing. There is an electrical functioning description, and a hose routing diagram that only shows 1 hose per pump. This is inaccurate.

There are 4 hoses, 2 hoses per pump. One hose from each pump combines into a T. Then each pump has another hose. All 3 hoses route back along the wheel well into the body of the truck. This is insane. There are only 2 places it sprays water, front window and back window.

At first I thought maybe the washer motors don't have the typical direct intake into the reservoir, and the 2 lines that T together were the intakes from the top of the reservoir. There doesn't seem to be a way to remove and reattach the pumps to the reservoir unless they are permanently cemented in. But I don't think the 3rd hose can possibly be the intake, because all 3 hoses are going away from the reservoir.

I'm not sure what I can do to test or remove them, since I don't understand what the heck is going on with them. Only thing I've thought I could try is swapping the electrical plugs and the 2 hoses that don't T together, so in theory that would be using the old rear pump to spray on the front windshield.

Bizarre. I did a little looking around and found a post on Nicoclub suggesting that the lower outputs on the pumps go to your front and rear wipers, and the uppers tee and run up into the fender where the line just ends, evidently as a breather for the tank. Maybe Nissan made the washer cap too airtight and had to improvise? Seems ridiculous but I don't have a better explanation. Second to last post here: http://forums.nicoclub.com/pathfinder-windshield-washer-pump-t491364.html

And I don't know about R50 pumps, but the pumps on my WD21 just go through rubber bungs into the tank. To remove, twist a little and pull (suck the fluid out first). Your idea of swapping plugs and washer lines is a good one, provided the lines will reach and the plugs are the same. You might also try just switching the electrical plugs in case there's a weak connection somewhere in the wiring to the front pump that's not giving it the amperage it needs.

• Like 1

Of the three lines that go into the fender one is a breather. I don't know beyond that, I only know that because I had to remove the fender once.

Yep for sure one is a breather.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

I have a story about this same thing it's a bit gross just a warning so yeah my window sprayers were not working at all. Tried unplugging the hoses from under both sprayers, only a trickle of water came out. Poked the holes on the spray nozzles with a pin still nothing coming out. Then I check inside the actual tank and there's a dead cockroach in there. Don't ask me how the lil critter got into a sealed container. They just CAN! The tank, lines and window nozzles came out and went straight into a bucket of dish soap and hot water lol. The cockroach legs that had broken off it's body were stuck in the hose lines it was gross.

I swapped the electrical plugs and the hoses several times and several ways, and got no flow out of the front washers, and still a strong flow out of the rear washer. Then I blew out the lines one at a time with an air compressor. It seems there was something at least partially plugging the main hose to the tank. I also removed the rubber L fitting at the pump to the hose for the front washer, which looked restrictive and unnecessary. Between those 2 things, the front washers started working almost as good as they used to, but I don't feel like 100%. Sometime I may replace the entire hose run. Looks like it is 7/32".

Thanks for all the tips. The link to NicoClub was especially helpful.

Growing up in Houston, where we had 5 cm long water roaches, a roach in your washer tank doesn't sound too bad. The only time I find them objectionable is when I'm not paying attention and a live one runs across my hand or arm.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

So that last fix on the front windshield washer jets lasted about a year, until the washer spray would only come out about 3 inches on the window. I bought a new non-OEM Nissan style washer pump on Amazon and finally got it installed. Now the washer spray is strong, and gets close to the top of the window. The new pump didn't have the 2nd hose connection for the vent line, so I just left it disconnected on the front pump. The rear pump still works good enough for the rear window, since it faces down, and doesn't get significantly dirty.

• Like 1