R50 engine replacement possibilities? diesel or v8

hey all

I have a 2002 infinity qx4 same as the Nissan pathfinder they are both R50 from what I understand.

I love this car to death. It is in near mint shape. My engine the vq35 threw a rod bearing. I am starting to look at different engine possibility. I have discovered that in some contrary the R50 came in a diesel. I was wondering if someone could please shed some light on this subject. I am wondering if a conversion is a possibility. A used vg35 is going to set me back about 1200 usd. I have seen several different Nissan diesel engines that are jdm for not to much more.

Has anyone done the swap? what motors will for sure will just bolt up. I have herd of people putting in an LS or a diesel motor from a Nissan patrol zd30? I need to get as much info as possibility before I drop any coin on motors and parts. It would almost be cheaper to just scrap my car and buy another but I cant justify that.

That seems like a pretty ambitious project...are you ready to spend a lot of time and money in this endeavor? Dont get me wrong but a diesel would be cool for sure but the 3.5 IS a good engine and you should be able to find one for a reasonable price from a wrecker or someone whose parting one out. Just sayin...

it will cost more than the cars value to do that swap. probably more than 2X the value... unfortunately anything other than stock will cost an arm and a leg! most likely those diesel engines that bolt right up will have to be imported and that alone is crazy expensive:/ if you are dead set on a swap however, use a simple old school motor that requires little electrical and that will make your life easier

• 10 months later...

Im looking at doing the same. I have a 99 w/a 3.3. The gas mileage of a V8, with the power of a 4cyl. LS is the way Im going. The 3.3 and 3.5 are just terrible engines when you take power and fuel economy into account. The LS is a sweet motor, but shoehorning it in seems daunting. That is until I saw GMs LV3🤔 285hp/310tq, and its shorter then a LS. That and a 4wd 6L80E would be tits. What do you guys think? Brakes would have to be a consideration. I want all OEM equipment. That means scouring the interwebs for info on swaps from Patrols, Xterras, Armada/Pathfinders. Electric fans would be a must, again looking for OEM. Youll be wanting to source Corvette/Camaro accessory brackets, they are quite narrow. There is a plethora of oil pans to choose from.

I dont believe this swap will be as expensive and difficult as everyone thinks. Ive done an LS swap before, and in the end it was the engine harness integration that was the most difficult. http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lv3/

Edited by PATHFINDER95NI

I remember somebody on here put the original 4.3 in a WD21, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't fit the new one in an R50 one way or another. Weird that they're sticking with the 90° V6 thing, just cutting down a different V8.

A friend of mine's got a couple of the earlier 4.3s in his trucks and I've gotta say, they are rugged little buggers. Hopefully GM found a solution for the shake at idle.

If you're going for a v8, I would urge you to go for a VH45DE rather than an LS.

The vh45de is a Nissan made motor that was used in the 90-96 Infiniti Q45. From the factory the motor puts out 310hp and 330ft/lb of torque. It's stronger than pretty much any other option out there, and is notorious for being able to push close to 1000hp on stock internals.

Another benefit is it's a Nissan motor for a Nissan rig, putting a GM motor in would be a sin! Lol

Here's a thread on a guy who did this swap: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/18663-vh45-swap-sas-update-merged-threads/

Edited by micahfelker

If you're going for a v8, I would urge you to go for a VH45DE rather than an LS.

The vh45de is a Nissan made motor that was used in the 90-96 Infiniti Q45. From the factory the motor puts out 310hp and 330ft/lb of torque. It's stronger than pretty much any other option out there, and is notorious for being able to push close to 1000hp on stock internals.

Another benefit is it's a Nissan motor for a Nissan rig, putting a GM motor in would be a sin! Lol

Here's a thread on a guy who did this swap: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/18663-vh45-swap-sas-update-merged-threads/

It's really too bad this build was never completed, however the V8 part was completed and did work! If my engine ever goes out and I have time to do a V8 swap, this will be what I do.

• Like 1

I appreciate the suggestion, and understand about keeping a Nissan truck all Nissan, but the truth of the matter is the LS motor is the bargain of the two. The aftermarket has wider support and the initial buy in will be much cheaper. I plan on buying a donor truck from Copar for dirt cheap and then parting it out.

Not to mention the LS is a much tighter package. Ive seen an LS next to a 3.5, and there is no contest.

Just a general opinion of GM. The first 4.3 had issues with rounding the cam lobes because they used soft metal. The 350 diesel was a piece, they actually used the spark plugs holes to put glow plugs. My father in laws pickup has three different shades of red on the dash from the factory because GM couldn't get the different plastics the same color. Everything about the revived Malibu. My wife had a camero that the seats were actually turned inboard a little to fit the car, so you sat in it a little sideways. I had a 350 in a pickup that bent push rods way too often.

Chevy has a habit of being behind the curve with engine technology. I remember when I was a mechanic and had to work on GM they were about ten years behind everyone else, expect Dodge who were about 15 years behind. I feel the same way about Chrysler as I do about GM.

They also have a history of putting engineering behind marketing, for example the camero where they wanted a look regardless of what it did to the driver. And of course all the issues in the last 15 years due to the same issues.

However, their saving grace is an excellent aftermarket.

• Like 2

I have no particular brand loyalty (frankly I think its silly). Every auto maker has wins and losses in their history, and the LS line of V8s is a definite win. If you can find a way to make one work in the r50, its an excellent choice!

• Like 1

Just a general opinion of GM. The first 4.3 had issues with rounding the cam lobes because they used soft metal. The 350 diesel was a piece, they actually used the spark plugs holes to put glow plugs. My father in laws pickup has three different shades of red on the dash from the factory because GM couldn't get the different plastics the same color. Everything about the revived Malibu. My wife had a camero that the seats were actually turned inboard a little to fit the car, so you sat in it a little sideways. I had a 350 in a pickup that bent push rods way too often.

Chevy has a habit of being behind the curve with engine technology. I remember when I was a mechanic and had to work on GM they were about ten years behind everyone else, expect Dodge who were about 15 years behind. I feel the same way about Chrysler as I do about GM.

They also have a history of putting engineering behind marketing, for example the camero where they wanted a look regardless of what it did to the driver. And of course all the issues in the last 15 years due to the same issues.

However, their saving grace is an excellent aftermarket.

I edited my last post. I meant to put a emoticon at the end of the first sentence.

True, GM did fskc up in the past and still to this day. Honestly, I would rather them gone out of business then getting bailed out. But they did hit it out of the park with the LS motor.

Power is not the main concern, MPG is at the top of the list. I just cannot stand how bad the 3.3's fuel economy is. Even at 16-19mpg, I'm not happy, especially with the lack of power. I'm thinking with an LS swap and 6spd AUTO, I should be touching 20 in the city maybe 24-26 on the highway. I'm really looking forward to that.

Edited by PATHFINDER95NI
  • Like 3

Power is not the main concern, MPG is at the top of the list. I just cannot stand how bad the 3.3's fuel economy is. Even at 16-19mpg, I'm not happy, especially with the lack of power. I'm thinking with an LS swap and 6spd AUTO, I should be touching 20 in the city maybe 24-26 on the highway. I'm really looking forward to that.

Yup, that's about the one thing I don't like. I don't feel like the 3.5 is terribly underpowered (even with high gearing it'll turn 32's at 90mph easier than the aerodynamics think is possible...lol), but it sure it thirsty. I never saw more than 17.1 bone stock driving like a grandma. 12-14 is the new norm. If an LS can give 25 it may wind up on my to-do list...it would certainly keep the R50 as a viable DD for at least another decade!

• Like 1

Yup, that's about the one thing I don't like. I don't feel like the 3.5 is terribly underpowered (even with high gearing it'll turn 32's at 90mph easier than the aerodynamics think is possible...lol), but it sure it thirsty. I never saw more than 17.1 bone stock driving like a grandma. 12-14 is the new norm. If an LS can give 25 it may wind up on my to-do list...it would certainly keep the R50 as a viable DD for at least another decade!

Yeah, its terrible. I can take low HP, but the fuel consumption should be inline with the power. I thinking the all aluminum block, the Nissan electric fans, and the 6spd AUTO will help fuel economy get into the 20's with ease. Things like displacement on demand could be a bonus, but Ive heard it can be temperamental. Yeah 16 is my high, in the 5yrs Ive had this, Ive never seen 19mpg. No matter how miserly I drive it.

You should take a serious look at it, with a 6spd manual, I think the MPG's could be even higher.

The only thing that gives me pause is the rusty strut mounts. Ive taken a look at mine, they look fine. Id have to look into them more in depth before I committed to a swap.

Now heres a guy to put an old 350 in an R50. The LS is physically smaller then the 350, so I'm thinking the LS swap is looking more and more feasible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGhEpa-IfYM

• Like 2

Chevy's got some really dumb designs. So does Nissan. (Seriously, what rocket surgeon designed the WD21 steering linkage?) If you've got an engine you like and know how to rig up, I say go for it. Yeah, pushrod V8s are old tech, but I'll bet it's a whole lot more compact than the twin-cam VH. Looks like the guy who tried VH swapping an R50 had to delete the steering box and go full hydro just to get the engine to clear.

I'm helping my dad cram a Ford 302 in his Triumph TR4a, so you can guess how much I care about brand loyalty. :lol:

• Like 2

Chevy's got some really dumb designs. So does Nissan. (Seriously, what rocket surgeon designed the WD21 steering linkage?) If you've got an engine you like and know how to rig up, I say go for it. Yeah, pushrod V8s are old tech, but I'll bet it's a whole lot more compact than the twin-cam VH. Looks like the guy who tried VH swapping an R50 had to delete the steering box and go full hydro just to get the engine to clear.

I'm helping my dad cram a Ford 302 in his Triumph TR4a, so you can guess how much I care about brand loyalty. :lol:

Im the same way, Im about as loyal to GM as they are to me.

A 302 in a Triumph? Mmmm, an LS w/dry sump sounds better😋

I am going to start a new thread, instead of continuing to hijack the OPs thread. But I did want to share this before I go. It is a couple LS motors sitting next to a VQ motor. The LS motor is indeed a mouse motor when compared to the VQ.

Hmm, cant figure out how to post a pic from my phone. Thats ok, its gonna be in my new thread.

• Like 2

Yeah, its terrible. I can take low HP, but the fuel consumption should be inline with the power. I thinking the all aluminum block, the Nissan electric fans, and the 6spd AUTO will help fuel economy get into the 20's with ease. Things like displacement on demand could be a bonus, but Ive heard it can be temperamental. Yeah 16 is my high, in the 5yrs Ive had this, Ive never seen 19mpg. No matter how miserly I drive it.

You should take a serious look at it, with a 6spd manual, I think the MPG's could be even higher.

The only thing that gives me pause is the rusty strut mounts. Ive taken a look at mine, they look fine. Id have to look into them more in depth before I committed to a swap.

Now heres a guy to put an old 350 in an R50. The LS is physically smaller then the 350, so I'm thinking the LS swap is looking more and more feasible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGhEpa-IfYM

I like the idea of a LS engine and trans swap.

A 5.3 lifted out of any GM SUV would be a win win, cheap and easy to build for more power

I looked on ebay at the latest 5.3 with gearbox and transfer case. Not bad on the pricing and the transfer case is on the correct side for the Pathfinder. I would do a total swap.

My issue is living in Atlanta we have pollution tests we have to pass every year until the vehicle is 25 years old. Swaps can be tricky to get through.

• Like 1

I looked on ebay at the latest 5.3 with gearbox and transfer case. Not bad on the pricing and the transfer case is on the correct side for the Pathfinder. I would do a total swap.

My issue is living in Atlanta we have pollution tests we have to pass every year until the vehicle is 25 years old. Swaps can be tricky to get through.

Ouch, move a few hours north here to SC and you won't have that issue anymore! Haha

When I swapped an LS into my 95 Suburban, I found a LM7 for $450 at a salvage yard, a harness for $45 on Craigslist, and I already had my tranny so I didnt need that. My Suburban needs yearly smogging and it passed with flying colors. My trick was, I took it in late on a Friday afternoon, one of the last cars to get tested. I figured its friday afternoon, all the seasoned guys are outta there, it should be a breeze. It was. I passed no problem. Of course the new engine tested much cleaner then the old unit, so that helped. The LS will test cleaner then any VG/VQ engine, so I wouldnt be too worried.