1998 Chilkoot Edition (Canadian) (R50)

Hi All,

I have some silly questions....

I just picked up this truck, ~220,000 kms, 5 speed manual. I put 2K into repairs (the death wobble- bushing in the rear, preventative timing belt, plugs, belts, water pump etc. - the things you do when you have the intake plenum off and are doing the timing belt anyways)....

My questions are:

1) Do I have the LSD in the rear? Some people are telling me that the Chilkoot edition came with "bigger tires (check) fender flares (check) special mirror with temp/compass/ice display (check) and a LSD in the rear. However, I have also been told that the LSD in the rear was OPTIONAL for the Chilkoots - and that spinning the tires on jacks (the same way) might not happen with the Nissan LSD...

So what is the word? How long is the maintenance interval to re-pack the clutch, I am guessing the previous owner was a pavement princess and never went real off road to have it engaged.

2) What are options for getting about 2" of lift. I did not realize that the truck is unibody, so makes it a little more complicated. I am not familiar with IFS - I come from old (early 90's) Mazda/Rangers that had solid front ends. So what are my options - Old Man Emu in the rear? and what about for Struts?

3) I put WARN manual locking hubs on it, and 16" BFG KO2's. Is there any other "small" mods I can do to squeeze a bit more out of this rig, and make it more offroad? Silly Q, I know - just wondering if anybody has opinions.

4) Has anybody made this a camper SUV/Truck? I plan on making some sort of platform for sleeping in the back, but the seats that do not fold down flush agains the bottoms are kind of annoying. Either I unbold the bottom to unfold my platform - or has anybody else overcome this? Ideas?

I like this rig, I have been a toyota fanboy for the last 3vehicles (1993 "truck" with a SAS, 1989 Truck (the small guy) & 1989 Carib) but I did not want to pay toyota tax for an old 4runner with 360,000 and needing repairs rather then half the price of a Pathy.

Any advice helps! Thank!

Hello and welcome to NPORA. I'll try to answer some of your questions. Your rear differential should have a sticker on it telling if it's a LSD. I recently installed an OME lift using their HD front springs and MD rear. I used KYB GR-2 front struts (p/n 335015 and 335016) and Bilstein 5100 series shocks(p/n 24-185509). If you use the "trim packers" as suggested you'll need to replace the bolts on the top mounting plate with longer ones. I made that mistake and I'm eventually going to have to replace them. You might also check your sway bar bushings, end links and steering rack bushings if you have any oil leaks at all. Those bushings catch the oil and it deteriorates them. Replace with polyurethane if you can. I hope this helps.

• Like 3

I have a 2003 Pathfinder LE awd and just installed the OME HD springs up front and med rear springs. I also installed fleurys 1"spacers from and rear for extra height. This set up brought me 5" over where I was with the stock sagging suspension. For shocks and struts I went with OME. I love this set up. It works really well for me. No topping out on the struts and I have yet to have binding on the cv joints. dc5ede8cd8ef8abc678a4d216485307a.jpgc7dffcecc3e9561fadcdd771b38b4eea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi and welcome, the Chilkoot "should" have an LSD and the test is the same on Nissan as anything else. I would recommend getting the transmission transfer case and diff oils changed, then you know they are good. Meagton's comment on lift is pretty spot on, I just did OME springs with new struts and shocks and I am pretty happy.

As to the clutch when it start to slip, I had mine done at around there but they seem to last forever.

Your best bet for a sleeping platform is to pull the lower seats so everything is flush then you need to go up about 6 inches. It is literally 4 bolts to remove both of them. I run solo, so I just push the front passenger all the way forward, gives enough room for 5'11". I am just planing for another 4 day romp on some obscure FSR's and will redo my packing but I can fit pretty everything inside and still see out the back. A roof top cargo basket helps.

As for capability - I do not ever do mud, but in the last 5 years my Pathfinder has gone everywhere I wanted it to a couple of places it should not have and got me home. I think I have a little over 15000 Km on various FSR's in that time. They are very capable, if lacking a bit of clearance but you just need to take that into account.

This is my Klondike fully loaded for 4 days up around New Denver /Kaslo

giHUzh1.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry Mega, forgive my ignorance.

So those three part numbers are all I need? (in addition to the OME springs - you mean leaf right?) I do not have access to tools or a garage, so I would just buy all the parts and have a mechanic do the labour. Where do you buy your parts - I am having a hard time with the googles.

Thanks,

Hello and welcome to NPORA. I'll try to answer some of your questions. Your rear differential should have a sticker on it telling if it's a LSD. I recently installed an OME lift using their HD front springs and MD rear. I used KYB GR-2 front struts (p/n 335015 and 335016) and Bilstein 5100 series shocks(p/n 24-185509). If you use the "trim packers" as suggested you'll need to replace the bolts on the top mounting plate with longer ones. I made that mistake and I'm eventually going to have to replace them. You might also check your sway bar bushings, end links and steering rack bushings if you have any oil leaks at all. Those bushings catch the oil and it deteriorates them. Replace with polyurethane if you can. I hope this helps.

One more thing - where did you order your Old Man Emu gear from? The OME website does not list the R50 as available options. It lists the R51 - is that compatible?

Thanks again

The site rgallant posted is where I got mine. One of the p/ns for the struts is for the left and one is for the right, and of course you'll need two shocks. The R50 has coils at all four corners. Get new Nissan strut bearings also. Unless the other suspension components are bent, broken,rusted badly or dry rotted can be reused. A competent tire shop should be able to do the work for you. Oh, and after the lift you might need camber adjustment bolts for a proper alignment.