interior modifications

Earth1

I was thinking about pulling the carpet and herculining the floor, and wanted to see what kind of creative interiors some of you have come up with. There's not too many pics of this stuff around here. Judging by the spot of paint on one of my seats, it seems possible to cover all the fabric with something that would stay somewhat flexible and soft. A sponge cleanable interior?

Let's see your buttons, speaker boxes, lights, storage solutions, gauges, brackets, homemade gadgets and stuff.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't gone out to get some batteries for my digital camera so no pictures. My only interior mods are: color matched duct tape over rips in the arm rests on doors (not my mod really, the truck came that way), a boring Kenwood cassette player, and the best most awesome mod: Super Mario floor mats! And yes they are totally awesome.

Front seats from a '92 Acura Integra

Center console from a '94 JGC w/ modified t'case lever and custom trans shift boot

APC steering wheel

Hurst T-shift handle

Rear carpet - indoor/outdoor rubber backed from Home Depot

Custom sub box

Hmm...lemme see...

Torn Carpet in rear

Dog Hair

Crushed potato chips

drivers side cargo panel delete (that wasn't intentional)

Dirt

junk

small pile of CDs

sticky stuff in cup holder

clump of mud on dashboard

Clarion CD/MP3 Player

Cobra CB Radio

lot's `o switches

Alpine and JL Audio amps

Kenwood component speakers (really gotta upgrade these)

JL Audio sub

Mag Light and fire extinguisher mounts in rear

radar detector

GPS

interior camera/camcorder mount

cheap-hiney neoprene seat covers

600W inverter in glove box

and soon

New rear false floor with drawers, tie downs and slots for tool box and cooler

laptop mount

Hey JJ,

Why acura seats? Did you just bolt the rails down? I bet those things are pretty comfy.

Gorilla Man,

Those light switches are awesome.

Edited by Earth1

Hey JJ,

Why acura seats? Did you just bolt the rails down? I bet those things are pretty comfy.

I was looking for seats that would closely match the stock interior color, didn't cost much, and were local enough for me to pick up.

Blue velour with blue-grey panels match pretty well, $20 for both, and they were only an hour away.

Plus I have a '00 Integra with the same seats in leather and they're among the best OEM seats I've ever seen as far as bolster support. Anything better and you're prolly looking at high-end sports cars or racing seats.

Fitment is an issue, though. I grafted the Pathy's rails on the Acura seats with brackets I made from 2" angle iron. Stock Pathy seats aren't flat on the bottom like the Acura's are. You have to lower the outside rail (raise the outside seat pan) about 2.25" or you'll be leaning out the door. Tricky but doable.

I only have a couple small mods:

Maglights & fire extinguisher on the back gate:

IMG_3101.jpg

GPS mount, Cell phone holder & CB Install:

gps.jpg

Cargo Area

Liner on the floor, cargo net, bins & tool boxes all packed neatly across the back.

Sgt Lobo Shelf

IMG_3096.jpg

Here's my interior mods... :D

An extra 12v socket "Heavy Duty"... I mainly installed that so the radar detector could stay plugged in while charging the cell phone, powering a spotlight, or whatever... Also my $40 Pioneer CD player. I got it off a trucker who was hurting for cash about 4yrs ago...

611550_16_full.jpg

Here's a pic of my Cobra 148 with the Astatic Mic installed next to the console... My wife hates it being there because she's always hitting her arm or elbow on the edge... I got the CB for $100 from a guy who won a bunch of "money" on the cherry machines they have in some truckstops... Bad thing for the guy was, they only give you stuff from the store as payment... He was wanting money not TV's, DVD players, CBs or other crap... I offered him cash for that CB and he took it... Half off isn't bad when I was looking for a good CB anyway...

611550_18_full.jpg

Here's a pic of my volume and tone controls for the amp to my PA speaker... I just drilled a couple of holes and ran a few wires...

611550_17.jpg

This is a pic of my cobra talk-back speaker... Sounds great and the best thing is, when I have the radio up loud I can still hear the CB and my wife can't... sssh

611550_19_full.jpg

I have a 12" JL Audio woofer in a kinda big box, and also a Kenwood amp. but no pics of those right now there still new. :)

I have:

1) An altimeter velcroed to my steering wheel

2) Map lights brighter than the face of god, bought as Kitchen Island lamps @ home depot. Just remove the transformer and their 12v. Installed in my head liner above the windshield.

3) All my switches are housed in an upside down tool box velcroed on top of the dash to the right of the main gauge cluster. It houses switches for: (left to right) KC lights, Smaller Lights, Fog Lights, Map Lights, GPS/Radar Detector power supplies, and finally a switch for four 12v outlets on the right side of the box.

4) Pioneer Tape Deck with 6 disk changer (changer mounted under the dash on passenger side)

5) Getting a Cobra CB with a 7ft whip antananea (sp?) for $20, just need a PA speaker for it :-) Going to install that under the stereo.

Will take pictures soon.

My sig pic has a small view of my 93 interior, but I mounted my CB where the stock stereo amp was since all the functions are on the handset. I have aftermarket steering wheels in both trucks, as well as "tuner" style pedal covers, mostly because the pedals are too small and my foot would like to slip off of the gas. My stock tweeters in the A pillar blew, so I now have some Kicker tweeters mounted at the top of the B pillar on the 93. Put Maxima seats in the 88, and added rear 6x9s (had no rear speakers when I got it).

Mods planned on the 93; install 3 outlet 12v sockets in the little blank area where the parking brake on the HB are, map lights out of a 95 pathy, more red stuff :D

Mods planned on the 88; remove rear seats and carpet and Herculine everything, make a false floor level with the rear over the rear seat area for out of sight storage, paint everything else grey and black. Other mods sure to be done, but not planned yet.

Sony headunit, Infinity speakers

Hurst shifter

brushed aluminum gauge bezel

That's about it. I do try to match my upgrades. Like the white Infinitys against the blue interior. The brushed aluminum bezel, t-handle, and CD player and very soon brushed aluminum pedals.

426002_98_full.jpg

426002_121_full.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and brag that I believe I have the cleanest interior of any WD21 out there. Any takers?

• 3 years later...

I think this thread should be brought back from the dead!

I want to see updated pics of everyones interior mods from top to bottom. I just installed a cb and am about to install 14 lights mounted to a safari rack relayed and everything the way it should be (pics will come soon I promise). I want to see where everyone mounted their switches for lighting or for any other mod.

-Colby