Wheel Bearing HELP NEEDED!

Gusthebus

I'll start by apologizing up front. I'm sure this has been covered but I can't for the life of me find any torque specs for the front spindle nut. I'm doing wheel bearings on my 2000 2wd. FSM I downloaded tells me to torque to 78ft. Lbs. Then back off to 0. Then re-torque to 13 INCH lbs. This does not sound right to me. Any help would be fantastic!

I never torque them I tighten the nut while spinning the hub. When it stops spinning then I back it off until it is loose again, then tighten down while spinning the hub again until the resistance feels right.

What you are doing in both cases, my way and FSM way, is seating the bearing at first. Then you back off and tighten again to set the bearing preload. If the preload is too loose, there will be slop in the hub and you will eventually toast the bearing. If too tight, there will be too much friction and toast the bearing.

Try the way the FSM says, while spinning the hub, and see if there is slop in the tire when you shake it up and down. If so, take it back apart and tighten more.

• Like 1

When all said and done it is basically finger tight, when i remove the nut usually i can just turn the tool by hand. But seating it is critical, especially if they're new bearings.

• Like 2