Oil change interval for my driving habits and type of oil to run

Backpacker

My truck is 28 years old with 132,000 miles on the original vg30i. I'm wondering what kind of oil is best and how often to change it. I drive 600 miles a week: 100mi 5 days a week all highway for school(75-80mph @~3500rpm), and around 100mi city driving for work as a delivery driver.

I've only changed the oil 3 times since I bought it in November. My memory is hazy, but I'm pretty sure the first two times were with mobile 1 high mileage oil, I'm not sure if that is synthetic or dino oil and I went about 5000 miles between changes. This last time I put cheapo Walmart brand non synthetic oil in it and plan on changing it at 2500-3000miles.

I think the start up valve tap noise that lasts for a second or two has been louder with the walmart oil but could be my imagination. Sometimes it's loud and sometimes it's not there at all on cold start.

Should I be doing synthetic or non synthetic in it? I don't know what was ran in it for most of its life and I heard it could be not so good no change from one to the other. The truck doesn't leak oil from anywhere and runs like a champ. Best engine I've had in any car I've owned by how it's been been performing lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no issue from switching back and forth from synthetic to conventional oil. Old seals might leak with synthetic, but thats it.

I usually run rotella T5 synthetic blend diesel oil or a high mileage syn blend. Cleans up the sludge pretty well.

High zinc oil is good for our flat tappet engines. Valvoline VR1 or Amsoil ZRod.

There is no issue from switching back and forth from synthetic to conventional oil. Old seals might leak with synthetic, but thats it.

I usually run rotella T5 synthetic blend diesel oil or a high mileage syn blend. Cleans up the sludge pretty well.

High zinc oil is good for our flat tappet engines. Valvoline VR1 or Amsoil ZRod.

Just the answer I'm looking for. Thanks Elton John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run Valvoline Synthetic blend 10w-30 with wix/ microgaurd filters and I love how clean it gets everything. I prefer that and the above mentioned Rotella oil.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1