Auto locking hubs?

PatDes

Does anyone know of a way to put auto locking hubs on the front of a R50? I'm gonna order a set of the warn manual hub unless anyone has a better idea.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

The stock hubs are "locked" 100% of the time. Not sure there are auto hubs available for the R50. Manuals are a worthwhile investment but do require you to get out and lock/unlock them when needed.

I haven't had an R50 front end apart but I remember reading that their CV shafts only have one snap ring groove, which works with either the stock drive plates or aftermarket manual hubs. WD21s have two grooves, one for manual hubs and one for auto hubs. While you could probably just machine new grooves into your CVs, it would be an awful lot of work to fit the hubs that most of the WD21 guys spend money to get rid of.

The auto hubs give you no indication whether they're locked in or not. There's no way to lock them manually. They unlock themselves without telling you. To lock them in, you have to drive forward in 4x for some distance, which sounds easy until the front bumper's up against a fence post, you don't have the traction to back up in 2x, and the hubs aren't locked. I found myself in that situation with the manual hubs, and being able to lock them manually saved me from finding out if my friend's dad's Miata could pull my Pathfinder out of his yard. As far as I'm concerned, they paid for themselves then and there.

• Like 1

I had auto hubs on my wd21 and would not recommend them. I swapped to manual hubs because there was a few times I got stuck and couldn't engage my 4 wheel drive. The wheels have to move for the autos to lock in. Sometimes rocking it will do the trick, but most times you're SOL. I'd do the manual hubs if it were me.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know of a way to put auto locking hubs on the front of a R50? I'm gonna order a set of the warn manual hub unless anyone has a better idea.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Did you get auto or manual locking hubs?I'm also looking to order in next couple days.