Dipped Emblems

onespiritbrain

So I decided to dip my emblems black today..

Here's how I did it.

First I cleaned everything the best I could with denatured alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

Second I taped everything off.

331f59876e9a995be3dd02854ed00465.jpg

81c4a0da3ba0f02c4d80d0a1d074fd6f.jpg

Then I started spraying. The first coat needs to be light and will look spattered.

d5d364349dc541eeedc485f3c3ba1a7e.jpg

After the first coat drys for 10min put the second coat on at the same thickness from another angle. Each coat will be from a different angle to get coverage everywhere.

a24fedddd63621c98d555c684f1ca544.jpg

After you hit all your angles your last coat or coats should be on the thick side. I suggest you practice your thick coats on something before you start.

891e39791c819397cf63bbe8d8074f1e.jpg

After all your coats are on, let everything dry for about 30min. Then remove all your masking.

34787e481d2c6aca6e6f73213e34be75.jpg

Then peel the plastidip you don't want away, starting at the edges near your masking. I made a little video but it's garbage due to needing two hands for the peeling process.. it cuts a perfect line by itself!

01ed2db9f9bdcb44cd4866c74f7792c4.jpg

So you can lay it on too thick.. I laid it on too thick and it bridged the gap between one of the letters so when I tried to peel it didn't cut a line, instead it pulled part of the plastidip from the surface of the letter. That and the texture of the plastidip looks weird close up. I laid it on just right on the emblems, but I messed the letters up pretty bad. I'm thinking about removing the letters altogether..

ed4935766a136884071ae0961d29f808.jpg

Finished product

df0d217d4a4b3310f11dd4bc346d2be9.jpg

331a8d7a647752b474eee21a8765bc50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Not sure what sort of life span you're going to get out of that application of a rubber coating on what is, essentially, chrome. Had you prepped it by lightly scuffing the chrome off, it might have stood a chance. Biggest problem is they're singular, plastic and DST'd to the paintwork. The idea was was good in princple...far sight better than that fay gold thing they did for the asian market, Yeeeeesssshhhh!! Me, personally, am going to see the brown dude at my local swap meet and buy me some new letters of MY choice, HAHAHA! It's going to be AWESOME!! Somethin' w/a little shock value like my license plate surround that sez: I DRIVE LYK YOU, A$$HOLE. I LOVE watchin the expressions on peoples faces when they read it while waiting behind me at the lights, IT'S PRICELESS! Spring is here, woo woo.

I bought my truck with plastidip over the rims and fenders/doors and whatever else the clear coat was coming off. One time wheeling I took nearly all the dip off the rims lol

I was wondering how plastidip holds up vs offroading. I've read stories about it holding up good if it is thick. Apparently it gets surface scratches but doesn't tear thru?? I would imagine needing 10-15 coats(or more) for the body or wheels of an offroad vehicle.. probably not worth it to do any more than emblems since it isn't exactly fun to paint with..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of the dip for emblems. Everything black. I did my flares, bumpers and grill 3 years ago. Also covered the ugly red surround on the tail lights. Removed the plastic from the vehicle, dipped each piece with about 8 coats black and 3 coats of glossifier. After 3 years, the rear bumper has a few spots that are starting to lighten, and the front had the same - before I removed it for good. A few drip marks on the flares from when an attendant dripped fuel on it (not thrilled), but it did hold up very well. Applied properly it is very good - even on chrome.