Should my pitman arm be separated from the gear box like this?

Backpacker

It's a taper fit so it won't fully cover the splines. I'd say you're fine.

So it's not missing a seal or anything? Looks like one might have been there at one time or another but

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing more than what you see there. I rebuilt my gearbox because it was leaking and there isn't anything additional to it. It appears as though you may want or need to consider doing the same.

Nothing more than what you see there. I rebuilt my gearbox because it was leaking and there isn't anything additional to it. It appears as though you may want or need to consider doing the same.

Yeah I was just doing some research. It's one of the fluids I haven't replaced yet since I got it. I'm hoping the seals will do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Think I got a rebuild kit and seals through Amazon or Napa. Getting the Pitman arm off was the biggest challenge. I wound up using a large gear puller and a hammer. I couldn't seem to find the right pitman arm puller in order to do the job just right.

Input and output shafts were keyed, so you couldn't misalign anything in that department. If you Pull the entire gear box apart, there are ball bearings that you need to keep track of. Do this on a clean workbench with a lip seal or something to prevent the balls from rolling under your tool chest. I know this because I managed to find one on the floor after I put it all together. It sits in a baggie in my tool chest waiting for me to take it apart the next time... which may never happen.... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Regarding the bearings if you do a rebuild. Petroleum jelly is probably the best way to put everything back together. Use it to stick the bearings to the raceway in the box. I don't think there is another way to get everything back together.

• Like 1