"O/D off" light wont turn on when I switch O/D off.

SpaceCadet

Hey there! I noticed yesterday that my overdrive was off (probably from my 2year old pretending to drive) but the "O/D off" light on the cluster was not on. So I switched it on and off and it still wouldn't come on. It seems that overdrive is still working. The tranny reacts when I turn it on and off. I looked in my Haynes manual and couldn't figure it out on the wiring diagram and there is nothing that mentions the overdrive light. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Probably just the bulb finally blew after all the years and bumps and bangs.

As long as the transmission is still reacting to the difference in switch position then that side of things is good.

The bulb is easy to replace, just pull the bezel and you'll see the socket that the bulb is in. It's either a 194 bulb or the one smaller than that which I can't remember the number for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I'll pull it apart and if a new bulb does the trick.

I found the wiring diagram on the FSM and it looks super simple. It is one GY wire that goes directly from the OD switch to the light bulb.

So, a little update. In pulling the bezel a pulling back the lower piece that covers below the steering wheel I pulled out the wires on the switch(which the PO installed) for an aftermarket radiator fan. I had the car running while I did this (don't ask me why I thought this was a good idea). As soon as the wires got pulled out the car shut off and the cars power locks unlocked. I tried turning it over and nothing happened, no click not lights on the cluster, nothing. I haven't plugged anything back in yet but when I do should I expect everything to be working again or does my car think I just got in a front end collision and I'll have to do some reprogramming?

Huh. That's not good. Is there power to anything?

I'm not aware of any inertia shutoff or other "oh crap I'm dead better act like it" built into the WD21. All I can figure is that one of the wires going to that fan controller was tapped into the positive feed for something else, and touched something it shouldn't have when it came loose, popping a fuse link and interrupting power to the ignition switch. I'd start by checking the fuse links on the positive terminal of the battery--I haven't looked up the ignition wiring recently (it's in the manual) but I'd expect it to draw direct from there. If those look good, check the main fuse box. Or follow the PO's fan wiring until you find the scorch mark.

I don't know what to make of the door locks popping up... sounds like a safety feature but it's not one I've run into.

Huh. That's not good. Is there power to anything?

I'm not aware of any inertia shutoff or other "oh crap I'm dead better act like it" built into the WD21. All I can figure is that one of the wires going to that fan controller was tapped into the positive feed for something else, and touched something it shouldn't have when it came loose, popping a fuse link and interrupting power to the ignition switch. I'd start by checking the fuse links on the positive terminal of the battery--I haven't looked up the ignition wiring recently (it's in the manual) but I'd expect it to draw direct from there. If those look good, check the main fuse box. Or follow the PO's fan wiring until you find the scorch mark.

I don't know what to make of the door locks popping up... sounds like a safety feature but it's not one I've run into.

So i put everything back together ( fan wiring and inspected all wiring and instrument cluster). Nothing hapens when i turn the key and cluster does not light up. Hazards still work, power locks work, headlight works. Thats about it though. My Pathfinder does have the factory secrity swith on the center console. It was not on, the button was in between on and off.

I think I pulled power from the same place for the hood light on my '95. I suspect what's happened is that the fuse link between that box and the battery has fried. For an easy test, check for voltage between the contact where the fan wire's installed and ground.

The security system switch middle position is alarm on/impact off IIRC, so the alarm would go off if you opened a door but not if it got bumped. At least, I assume that's what it does--I leave mine off. Again, though, there's no main power disconnect from the alarm.

I think I pulled power from the same place for the hood light on my '95. I suspect what's happened is that the fuse link between that box and the battery has fried. For an easy test, check for voltage between the contact where the fan wire's installed and ground.

The security system switch middle position is alarm on/impact off IIRC, so the alarm would go off if you opened a door but not if it got bumped. At least, I assume that's what it does--I leave mine off. Again, though, there's no main power disconnect from the alarm.

Are there other fuse links other than the ones at the positive battery terminal?

• 2 weeks later...