Mocked up a quick design for the roof rack I'm making soon for my 1989

Backpacker

Right now it's with all 1" square tubing but I'll probably make it with something smaller. The side panels will be cut out of 1/8" sheetmetal on a plasma cnc table. I originally had the cut out on the side see-through but the vertical support bars made it look weird peeking through so I put the red plate behind the cut out parts. cc8b9a5280a2844bd90dd520562074b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What did you make this on? I have tried solid works and fusion 360 for making designs and got frustrated with both. Fusion 360 can do much more, but the learning curve on both is so steep that the amount of time invested doesn't seem to be worth it. Everytime I start to make a peice of furniture I try to do a mock-up like this, get frustrated and build it out of my head.

Design looks very nice by the way. I like the pathfinder cut out.

And if you plan on mounting lights on the back like a lot of people, it might cover up the Nissan. Something to think about.

Edited by Citron

What did you make this on?

This is on solidworks 2015b. I've had access to it for years, but just finally started taking the time to learn it. It can be very frustrating!! This was my 4th or 5th attempt at it. I tried doing round tube at first but it was not as easy.

The tutorials are good for it, they teach you pretty much everything if you do all of them. I've only done the beginner ones to get the gist of it and it helped a lot. My buddy has been using fusion to do some thermo simulation for a research thingy, and he agrees that there is much more to that program for modeling than solidworks. He is having a very hard time with it, and he got his certification for solidworks last year so that definitely says something.

Dude... that looks awesome.

I think it will look really cool once it's made and on the truck. Shouldn't be too hard or expensive to make with my not the best welding skills haha.