New guy with an R50...

Martinjmpr

Hi, everyone. My name is Martin and I live in Colorado (Denver area.) I have a 2004 Chevy Suburban that we use to pull our travel trailer on long trips (we do a lot of camping) but I didn't like driving that big beast to work or around town so last year I picked up a 2002 Pathfinder SE, 4x4, with a 5 speed manual (I love manual transmissions - if I could have gotten one in the 'Burb I would have!)

I have to say the Pathy is one of the nicest little SUVs I've driven. I used to be a Toyota guy, owned a 2004 Tacoma, then a 1999 4runner, then a 2007 4runner. The Toyotas were nice but the V6 4runner didn't have enough "grunt" to safely and comfortably pull our trailer (which is why we went to the Suburban.) I also got a little tired of paying the "Toyota Tax" and while my Toyotas were nice, they were a little bland.

I had seen lots of R50 Pathfinders around and always wondered about them. Now that I've got my SE I can see that they're amazingly nice little vehicles, plus I got mine at less than half of what I would have paid for

an equivalent 4runner (and the 4runner would have had double the miles and an automatic transmission.)

I've had the Pathy now since September, put some new shoes on in November (just in time for snow) and she's done great. I love the little "extras" like the automatic headlights, the reclining back seats, the sunroof, and the nice stereo - Even though my 4runner was 5 years newer it didn't have ANY Of those features. I also love that it's got a by-God manual transfer case shifter instead of the little dial on the 4runner or the push buttons on the Suburban.

Now I wish I could say it was all sunshine and rainbows, but sadly, it's not: The whole reason I'm here is because my Pathy has the dreaded VQ35 excessive oil consumption problem. And that's a shame because except for the oil consumption, I LOVE every other thing about this vehicle! It's fun to drive, peppy on the freeway, handles nicely and does great in the snow. It's comfortable and quiet and gets reasonably good MPG (~17 in mixed city driving, which I think is decent for a 4x4 SUV.)

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some good insight on the oil consumption issue here. Other forums don't seem to have much institutional knowledge so I'm hoping for some kind of practical solution here.

• Like 1

Everybody loves pictures so I suppose I should post one!

new20tires2001_zpsx1nvnb7v.jpg

I know it seems silly but I can't get over how good looking the R50 Pathfinders were. Especially the 02 version with the obviously "Xterra inspired" luggage rack and wind deflector. IMO there are a lot of homely looking vehicles out there but every now and then a manufacturer gets it "just right" and the R50 is one of those "just right" designs (as is the 3rd generation Toyota 4runner.)

This was right after I put new tires on - Cooper Discoverer M+S in 245/75/16. The stock size on the SE was 255/65/16 (29") and I went with a slightly oversize tire for a bit more clearance (31.5".) As you can see, they fill the wheel wells but they fit fine. Probably helps that they are about a half inch narrower than the stock size. These tires are great in snow, rain, and other incelement weather conditions (I had them on a previous 4runner so I've got a lot of miles on this model of tire.)

Sometimes I feel an urge to 'build up' the Pathy into an off-road machine - lift, big tires, etc. But then I think "no, I already have a lifted truck and anyway, the Pathy is just perfect the way it is." About the only thing it could use is a new stereo with iPhone controls and Bluetooth - but in terms of looks, at least, an aftermarket stereo would be a step down, as I really like the way the factory stereo looks (mine has the Bose in dash 6 disc changer with the cassette deck.)

Edited by Martinjmpr

Check out Blaupunkt. They make quality understated radios. Hard to find in the States, but they aren't flashy and ugly like all the other brands. Good German brand.