Should NPORA Guidelines be Loosened?

MrJim

Should NPORA Guidelines be Loosened?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should NPORA Guidelines be Loosened?

• Yes, members should be able post more freely.
    • No, I like NPORA as is.

As you all know, I have always tried to make NPORA a safe place to all to come together for a friendly Pathfinder Community and I have made a strong effort to keep profanity and obscene photos, etc. off of the site.

Recently, I have had members complaining about this and to me this seems odd, but I want to know what everyone thinks as a group.

Do you want it to be open for you to say and do anything, or do you like the site like it is currently?

I think your poll choices are too black and white. Simply loosening the restrictions on lower level cusswords would be OK, while restrictions on more severe language would be a must, I agree. Do as you see fit, it's your site. I think everyone should be able to vent a little, but not to the point where we all have to read blatant profanity, know what I mean? ;)

I think 88pathoffroad has a point, things shouldn't be black or white, but there are also more tame ways to use caracters so that people will understand which cuss words you mean to use without actually using them.

Some venting is good when it's directed towards a dealership, mechanic, manufacturer etc, but I don't think member bashing should be accepted. So far we haven't seen to many heated disscussions and the ones we've seen have been deleted. I think that's good.

I find some of the other sites I've been on have somewhat extreme emoticons which are used a little to much (finger ones for instance) and pictures that are offensive to some. Sorry if I sound old but after all if I decide to get on the forum I don't want to wait till my 3 and 7 year old are in bed to do so.

I think we can still afford to loosen up the site a little but I would still keep some good guidelines.

Hats off to Jim and the moderating crew, I think you guys are doing an awsome job.

just my thoughts,

Denis

I personally am finding this forum quite refreshing...As up until now, being a military spouse, the magority of the forums I have been used to have been Military Spouse Support forums, and lemme tell ya, them women really know how to cuss and fight!!!! So I like that this site exists... It reminds me that my fustrations can be gotten out on the off-road trail, and not on complete strangers here on the 'net.... Make sense?

I am not for censorship, mind you, but I do believe in common sense... I won't say anything here that I wouldn't say to you if I was face to face with ya...just a matter of courtesy.

I have yet to read anything in these forums in which profanity was necessary. There are many ways to get your point across without being vulgar. Be creative.

I think Jim is doing a great job with this board and would not like to see it turn into a big gripe session where every other post is F-this or F-that. Now... with that said... my stoopid frelling pathy is still leaking gas somewhere and I can't find it in this bleeping no-degree weather. :)

This is one the the best forums I've read on the Internet. The editing has been unobtrusive and it has not hurt the content. Question is, who do you lose if you loosen up the quidelines and who do you lose if you don't? As a practical matter, no one is offended when no one can be offensive, but sometimes a writers ego will get bruised when legitimate emotions are being expressed in a non-attacking way.

To the extent possible, editing should be seamless and a reader should be unaware that editing was performed. Its not easy thing to be in charge. Really fine Forum, though. :):rolleyes::D:lol:

Basically, as I see it, there's no need for profanity when discussing our Pathfinders. Sure, we all get angry at certain design flaws (No. 6 Spark Plug location!!!!!) or dealer/mechanic problems, but as we've done so far, we can always say S%*t without actually typing it out. It just looks better if guest come on here swearing isn't the first thing they see (cuz it seems to jump off the page). As long as people aren't directing obscenities at each other, to me, it's okay, but I don't see a need to go through the trouble of changing the policies to allow curse words to go through.

hats off to Jim & the mod team, the site is great how it is!

i think a change might be detramental (spelling??)

a know the guildlines are fairly strict, but it makes for a very good clean site.

i do agree with 88 though words like s t u p i d could be loosend a fraction.

anyways other than that, i wouldnt change thesite, its worked great so far

yea, i dont see a real big reason to have strict moderation. i believe that almost, if not every one here is mature enough to know what lanuage to use and what is not acceptible. maybe a moderation on slurs, what ever the type, but i dont believe it will ever come to the use of such a filter or editing. i dont see or think any of the members droping F-bombs around. as for pics and content, i just keep seeing snowy or muddy pathys :lol:

Does the moderation cover the use of all those goofball slang profane phrases that are thrown around in non USA areas? I know this site is international but would anyone really know if I was swearing up a storm in German or Russian? Just curious.

ps. No offense intended to our friends to the north or down-under (or anywhere else for that matter, except Texas) :)

ps. No offense intended to our friends to the north or down-under (or anywhere else for that matter, except Texas) 
In the deffence of your friends up North, Eh is not a swear word...........Eh! :P:lol:

Oh and by the good point! :D

Denis

I usually hate Forums and Chat groups, and here i am checking it each day. Adding my two cents were i can. I tend to agree that if you really think you need to include a certain level of profanity in your posts, then use abreviations or obscure characters. Has more of a humerous effect on the reader, but still conveys the expression or emotion that was desired. People are lead by example.

Bla bla bla..........................

Its all good, keep it friendly guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete.

Jim, I find it refreshing to know that I can go into a forum that I would let my kids watch. Anything that I would write, or read, and I don't want to have to worry about offensive words or phrases. I spent 6 years in the Marines and it was a day to day bombardment of terrible language. I am not saying that I don't use or have never used profanity, because quite frankly, sometimes it's quite !@#^%#@*%#$ refreshing :lol: . But just the same, I enjoy the refuge from every day garbage that surrounds me, that I find in this forum.

Jim you do a wonderful with this furom and I believe you must make the final decission based on what you believe to be proper. But hey, that's just my little opinion :P

ps. No offense intended to our friends to the north or down-under (or anywhere else for that matter, except Texas) :)

agh take it back (shakes fist), im from texas myself. id hate to hear people diss(ah thats a great word) my state, after all its my state. there isnt really alot of profane slag slung around. alot of us are pretty curtious. plus its the only state to get all four seasons in one week. yesterday it was 26 degrees fahrenheit, and today its like 50 odd and raining like crazy.

Okay, well I would not have created this poll if the topic had not been brought up to me privately.

I just wondered what everyone else thought and it seems that most agree with me that it is not necessary to say F**&&* this and that. I am not a saint by any means, but I just feel that it is not something that we need to communicate here.

I do have s t u p i d in my word filters, but only to keep one person from calling another s t u p i d and thus causing an online fight, which we have seen here. We have even gone as far as having to permanently ban people from the site. They were sending very nasty emails to other members when our word filters would not allow them to do it here.

There is a reason to my madness. I have put these guidelines in place only to keep this site as friendly, helpful, and inviting as possible.

I hope you all understand and see why I do what I do. :)

• 3 months later...

It seems that the majority does not want to make it easier to curse, etc. on NPORA.

As I have said earlier, I am no saint. I do my share of cursing in certain company, but I just want to keep this site as clean as possible so that everyone will feel comfortable here.

It is less likely that people will leave or avoid the site because of a lack of cursing than the alternative.

I appreciate all of the support for my efforts, as well as for the hard work of others who help to keep NPORA together and online.

I would ask that you do not use typos and symbols to curse here anyway and I personally feel insulted many times when I see this because I see it as a "screw you" to me each time it occurs. I do not see why this is so important to some. To each his/her own, but I just want to continue to see NPORA as a profanity free place. I try to be as flexible as possible and I hope that you will be supportive in helping with this.

Thanks gosh darn it.... Oops! :secret:

:clap: Yup, good job to Jim and all the mods. I just don't understand why people would even have to curse on this board. F-ing this and f-ing that. No need for the profanity anyways. Just gotta realize the type of peope who feel the need to use profanity every other word and those who can express themselves with the same point it.

Yeah, that's true, but there's always a line between the use of profanity in positive and negative ways:

"Why did you do THAT? Now your Pathy looks like s _ _ _!"

"That bumper is sweet... your Pathy is definitely the s _ _ _!"

=)

Semper Fi Roost

- As far as the language is concerned I think the way it is now works just fine. I have seen a lot of boards that when they open up the ability to use cuss words some 16 year old goes overboard and tension rises.

I'm doing that Marine thing too, and I hear/use swearing all day. It's really nice to see a place that doesn't have it every where. I get sick of hearing it and when I'm at home with my girl or civilized people I try really hard not to use it. I think that it really shows ones ignorance when all that they can say is F this and F everything else. I do use it a bit myself though, but I'm working on it. LOL Jim you have a great site here, and your doing a great job running it.

Smitty

You know that is an important factor that is one main reason that I want it like it is. Most of us are guys here and the more you loosen the rules (here or elsewhere), the more we (as guys) just let go and curse like bandits. Me included. I once spent a few months traveling with a group of technicians that were all guys and I learned some really good dirty jokes, but one weekend when I was home, I just left the bank and found something on my statement that really upset me. My wife was in the passenger seat and my young daughter was in the back seat. I just shouted out, Mother F*****er! My daughter said, "DAD!" I wished I could have just crawled under a rock. All I could do is say I was sorry, but how not cool was that?

Anyway, that is one reason that I like this to be curse free. Even when someone types WTF, the words go through your head. What is so terrible about just saying, "What the heck?".

I just don't understand why these restrictions are so terrible to a few here. I am sure that I am being slammed on other boards about being so restrictive, but I even put it up to a vote and literally only a couple of members want to curse here.

:confused:

Thanks for everyones support!

I don't mind the filters and rules. It's really not necessary to swear and curse everywhere. I hear enough of it irl, it's kind of refreshing to be on a board where people are nicer to each other and every second word isn't the f-word.