88 SE-V6 won't start Plz Help

Brad251

Hey guys I haven't been on in a while. Few months ago my pathy broke down on me. It had been running rough and kinda like sputtering and stalling esp if u put your foot down well it finally just died on interstate one day and would not start again. After lots of research and u guys I was pretty sure it was the crank angle sensor sense I had all the symptoms. Well I finally replaced it today and still won't start. Plz help any suggestions appreciated

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just sensor. The dist cap and rotor button look like they were replaced before I bought it. I had the old button in back of truck when I bought. It's not fuel pump or timing belt. I haven't checked codes again. But I am going too

The rotor should spin. I have never had this happen, but my understanding is the bearings going bad will cause slop in the distributor and your timing will fluctuate all over, causing differing symptoms.

• Like 1

Guess that could be it. I'm really at a loss. I did have someone try and Crank it while I adjusted the dist all over the place just to try. Same no matter where I put it. Didn't sound any different when spinning over

Yep--I've never had a dizzy do it but I've read a few threads where bad bushings confused the computer. I've dealt with a few little motors in fans and things where the bearings start to wear oversize and they'll start squealing and the whole fan or whatever will vibrate like crazy. My best guess is that the shaft is grabbing the surface of the bushing and running around inside of it like a planetary gear. The sensor's just an optical deal like in an old computer mouse, so if the shaft is weeble-wobbling like crazy, the speed and/or position data the sensor's picking up may not make a whole lot of sense to the ECU.

Now that I'm thinking about it, though, unless the bearings were so wallered out that the sensor did nothing and you had no spark, I would be surprised if bad distributor bearings stopped the engine from at least trying to start. You say it has spark and the rotor spins, so the timing belt isn't stripped, but I am starting to wonder if it might've skipped a tooth or two. I've read they'll run like crap one tooth off and quit at two teeth off--perhaps your issue started when it slipped one tooth, then it slipped another and refused to start again. Because the dizzy is geared from the cam, your ignition timing would be off by as much as your valves. I don't know if the ECU--especially the TBI ECU--is perceptive enough notice the timing being horribly wrong and throw a position sensor code because of that, but it does seem plausible. Do you have a timing light? I'd want to make sure that the #1 spark plug is hitting on time when you crank it, and (hopefully) rule out the timing belt as the issue.

(I'm assuming you've already checked for fuel and the filter's not clogged.)

• Like 1

Fuel pumps great and filter is new it's getting gas to the TBI I do have. Light but cannot find any sort of timing mark or notched plate on pulley.

Sounds like the timing belt jumped. Try shining your timing light from the bottom of the crank pulley...

Can you find the marks with the engine stopped? Mark them with a red marker or white out.

You need spark, fuel, and compression to run the engine. You verified that you're getting spark, and the TBI is spraying fuel.

So either your valves are out of phase with the crank, or you've had a serious mechanical failure.

I assume it's not banging around as you crank it, so I'm leaning towards the timing belt jumping.

• Like 1

As Pathy said, the timing marks may be 180 degrees out, which is why you are not seeing them. I put my distributor back in the wrong spot and the timing was 90 degrees out, it ran like crap and took me a minute to figure out what had happened to the marks.