TPS problem? Help!

SpaceCadet

Transmission kept going into limp mode and I was getting a code for VSS. Took one off a 94 4x4 and never got the code. I am not sure if it was the culprit but it hasn't came back. I still have a new TPS just in case.

With my 95 XE I was having issues going over 20 mph & my rpm's would still go way high. Once speed sensor was replaced I was able to gain a little bit more speed but then I was not able to go over 3000 RPM such being stuck in Limp Home Mode found some bad wire connections fixed them up but mine is still a work in progress as I found much worse problems that needed addressed.

I would suggest to follow your wiring looking for anything that looks bad or not right cracks or anything else. Would also check the Inhibitor Connector & wiring on my 1st 95 XE I also had these similar symptoms & it ended up being that the wires for the Inhibitor switch had melted to the exhaust manifold. So with them being melted to manifold ended up having wires exposed & in contact with other wires that became exposed as well. Once I got a new inhibitor switch & new wiring for it as well fixed my issues.The connection for inhibitor switch will run from under truck near transmission & transfer case & come up into engine compartment by the bell housing where it then plugs into connector alongside the passenger side wall of engine compartment I believe. May not be the case with yours but worth checking out to see since everything I have found with the way the wiring runs throughout is that it is either run in not the smartests of pathways or there is just not a lot of slack in wiring if ever need to make a repair.

• Like 1

I'm going to pick up a couple ECUs and see if that works. Its worth a shot!

Not sure I would resort to it being the ecu just yet but that's just my opinion since could still check some other things before going to ecu change out route. Have you checked everything on back side of the cluster as well to make sure nothing was loose or not quite right?

With my 95 XE I was having issues going over 20 mph & my rpm's would still go way high. Once speed sensor was replaced I was able to gain a little bit more speed but then I was not able to go over 3000 RPM such being stuck in Limp Home Mode found some bad wire connections fixed them up but mine is still a work in progress as I found much worse problems that needed addressed.

I would suggest to follow your wiring looking for anything that looks bad or not right cracks or anything else. Would also check the Inhibitor Connector & wiring on my 1st 95 XE I also had these similar symptoms & it ended up being that the wires for the Inhibitor switch had melted to the exhaust manifold. So with them being melted to manifold ended up having wires exposed & in contact with other wires that became exposed as well. Once I got a new inhibitor switch & new wiring for it as well fixed my issues.The connection for inhibitor switch will run from under truck near transmission & transfer case & come up into engine compartment by the bell housing where it then plugs into connector alongside the passenger side wall of engine compartment I believe. May not be the case with yours but worth checking out to see since everything I have found with the way the wiring runs throughout is that it is either run in not the smartests of pathways or there is just not a lot of slack in wiring if ever need to make a repair.

My mechanic and i both checked all of that wiring and found nothing damaged. One thing my mechanic noticed today when checking the injectors is that once he revs it to 2k rpm when it bogs the injectors drop out. So that would mean its a issue with output, right? Him and I both today came to the conclusion that it would it could be something with the ECU and worth spending $40 on a used one to give it a try.

Not sure I would resort to it being the ecu just yet but that's just my opinion since could still check some other things before going to ecu change out route. Have you checked everything on back side of the cluster as well to make sure nothing was loose or not quite right?

He pulled out the cluster and everything looked good.

Problem Solved!!!! It was the ECU!!!! Got one off ebay for $20, swapped it out and it worked like a charm! Fingers crossed it stays that way! Thanks everyone for all the help! :beer:

• Like 2

So since I've owned this vehicle it hasn't worked at 100% til now and WOW what a vehicle! It runs and picks up like a bat outta hell! I'm hoping this vehicle lasts a really long time!

• Like 2