Front Diff Drop on an 02

SellOut

So I installed a 2.5" ebay spacer on the top of my front coils and a 2" set on the rears, after pulling out of my friends driveway for a test drive I took a turn and hear a snap... yea CV joint went out on me. Not sure if its just because it was old and would've needed to be replaced soon or if the new cv angle is too steep. I had her towed to a mechanics shop and they said that I need to drop the front diff at least 2"

Has anyone else had this problem or actually done a diff drop? I dont wanna go all the way to a SFD because im not that good at custom fab

Thanks!

02 pathfinder LE with a 2.5" lift, soon to be 33" tires

SFD is the only way to drop the diff, sorry to say. 2.5" of lift shouldn't have done that though. It's more likely that while installing the lift you accidentally disconnected something inside the CV's which caused them to break as soon as they rotated. Make sure you hand-test rotation before driving the vehicle when you put a new shaft in.

• Like 1

And I noticed you say "soon to be 33 inch tires". If that's your goal, I'd just like to make sure that you understand you'll need new wheels and won't mind cutting the fenders?

Thanks for the response, yes i dont mind chopping up the pathy because I live out in the desert and most of my friends drive chopped up prerunners!

• Like 1

Don't pay a shop to change your CV or give you advice.

A SFD would be great but not necessary.

What is necessary is Manual Hubs. Also Camber Bolts.

I agree %100 with the previous statement about overextending the CV during lift install.

Did you use 2.5" spacers for 3" of lift or 2" spacers that achieved 2.5" of lift?

Either way I'm close to your height. And only get CV bind at full droop with jack on the subframe.

Even then I can still turn my CVs by hand and no way would I grenade one puttering out of a driveway.

Edited by LittleFR
  • Like 2