Installing new engine block

Charlie_Brown

Okay so the old VG30 was a bitch to take out. I heard of others pushing the transmission back so I did that and was still not able to get the block+clutch assembly out at once. Ended up having to take the clutch off the block as well to get the block out.

Am I just doing this the hard way or is there something I am missing? I am in the process of VG33 swap and to attempt to install the clutch with the block half way in again is beyond daunting. Maybe I'm just a wimp but man screw that hahaha. It's all the dang oil pans fault for being so bulky.

I should add I'm running stock height pathy with blown shocks so a little on the smaller side. I have looked to see what others did to get the block out however it is more so glanced over beyond pushing the transmission back.

Remove the torsion bars, unbolt the Cv axles from the front diff, Unbolt and drop the front diff, it's all easy from there. That's for a manual truck.

For an auto truck you can slip it out without dropping the diff - if you are creative with a jack to tilt the trans.

I've tried to cut corners before but it always ends up taking more time. If you want to get it done quicjly and easily just do it properly and remove the torsion bars and front diff. That's the way you are supposed to do it.

Edited by Nefarious
  • Like 1

For the record I have pulled engines from wd21s and r50s about 7 or 8 times now, and engine swapped 3 trucks. I can get the engine out in about 4 or 5 hours now but it wasn't always this way, lol.

Edited by Nefarious
  • Like 1

Lol. My first time it was about 8 hours. I had an actual mechanic helping me though. We managed to get the engine out without removing the front diff, but had to slide the trans back. I'm not sure what would be easier.

Awesome, thank you :)

I began taking the torsion bars out by just removing the cross member they are connected to when I pulled the block but when it didn't move I was too frustrated to care and just pulled the clutch lol. Overall it took me a good 10 hours I would say to get the block out though this is the first time I've ever done this.

• 2 weeks later...

Next time just hook up an impact to the torsion bar tensioner bolts (with the front of the vehicle on frame stands) until the bars go loose, you can then just slide them out. It's literally just one bolt each that tensions the torsion bars before you can remove them. Once the t bars are out, the front diff comes down in about 45 minutes and from there it's very very easy to get at all the bolts to remove the engine. It opens the whole space up quite a lot. Saves a lot of headaches and cursing!