Hi. New pathfinder.

Qctech

Hope it's a standard shift. I really hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but 2005 was a bad year for nissan auto transmissions having engine coolant leaking into the transmission. You really want to read up on this, I'm sure there has got to be a remedy fix to prevent this from happening.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/42137-r51-transmission-curse-arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh/

Sorry, just saying..

Good luck.

Yeah unfortunately. Some time ago, I found a website that had a list, by year,(I think I just Googled: nissan pathfinder problems by year) of the number of problems each model year had...2005 was a very bad year, sorry to say. In general, the first year of a new style or overall change in design production tends to have a lot of problems bc they have spent the last 5 years designing the damn thing but have not had much time to Beta test it and find out where its failing are.

Remember the '85 Pontiac Fiero? It was Plagued with a myriad of problems that year. And by the time 1987 rolled around, GM had solved all the issues but by then, no one wanted one bc of all the past problems.

That being said, WELCOME. There is a ton of insight & experience, readily available here, as I can personally atest to. Do your research, find out what Recalls and fixes are available for your truck and exercise them. R50's(the model series previous to yours) for example, have less than ideally sized front rotors, which are prone to warping. It's something we R50 owners just have to deal with. Happy Pathfinding!!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome. The pathfinder I bought was shown as a 2005 on the creaiglist ad, but it was a mistake. When I finally went to check , it is a 2003 LE , and I bought it anyway. I already changed the rear main oil seal with all the associated pains of lowering the transmission ,exhaust, forward differential,cv joints , front suspension ,etc. The only thing now is a little problem with the idle that it had already when I bought it, and the fuel level that is not working on the gauge. I will get into those problems next. I just also found out that it have the problem with the passenger side strut tower corrosion. It seem as per the service bulletin that is non repairable(for nissan standards), but it is repairable for me if I decide to do so. I got this truck cheap , so I could give it to the dealer and start the painful process of dealing with Morley and try to get the blue book price for it, or just fix it myself with better reinforcement than the silly patch nissan uses and just keep it. So far I am thinking about keeping it. There is a 2001 near me being sold cheap also, but after reading all the problems the 2001 have with the IACV , I am rethinking about it.

Yeah unfortunately. Some time ago, I found a website that had a list, by year,(I think I just Googled: nissan pathfinder problems by year) of the number of problems each model year had...2005 was a very bad year, sorry to say. In general, the first year of a new style or overall change in design production tends to have a lot of problems bc they have spent the last 5 years designing the damn thing but have not had much time to Beta test it and find out where its failing are.

Remember the '85 Pontiac Fiero? It was Plagued with a myriad of problems that year. And by the time 1987 rolled around, GM had solved all the issues but by then, no one wanted one bc of all the past problems.

That being said, WELCOME. There is a ton of insight & experience, readily available here, as I can personally atest to. Do your research, find out what Recalls and fixes are available for your truck and exercise them. R50's(the model series previous to yours) for example, have less than ideally sized front rotors, which are prone to warping. It's something we R50 owners just have to deal with. Happy Pathfinding!!

Hey thanks. I think you are referring to the carcomplaints.com website. The major thing I read there about the 2005 was the transmission failing due to the bad design of the transmission cooler inside the water radiator. This is not new. Honda odysseys had that same problem for years and other makers still do. It baffles me that most people can not buy a 50 dollars or less external cooler and just install it and connect the 2 hydraulic lines and have what otherwise is a good truck with a powerful engine. If I find a cheap , failed transmission 2005 I will buy it , fix it and keep it. Mine turned to be be a 2003.