Exhaust rattling when coming to a stop

Skilltagz

Hey y'all, I recently bought my first car, an '01 Pathfinder LE. It's in pretty mint condition save a couple issues. I'm new to automotive work and I was wondering if any of y'all know what my problem is. Basically the problem is when I decelerate to a stop, from about 20km to standing there is a rattling sound. When I had it checked before I bought it my mechanic said it was the exhaust, how would I go about getting rid of the sound? It's not causing me any real inconvenience, it's just annoying as all hell :P I've looked through the forums but I haven't really found anything relating to my problem. Thank y'all in advance :lol:

I'd have a look underneath for rusted-off pipes or busted exhaust hangers. I had a couple bad hangers in my '93, and after fixing them, the exhaust pipe rattled against the tow bar. Maybe the exhaust sagged without those mounts, I don't know. Once the hangers were fixed I just gave the pipe a couple good shoves with my foot until it bent far enough to quit rattling. If you want to find the rattle, get under there and work the exhaust around by hand, chances are you'll find what it's hitting.

Heat shield.

My exhaust shop cut mine off when I got the new pipes.

Usually when they start rattling the bottom falls off and the top can be ripped off by hand when exhaust is cold.

• Like 1