How tight for the oil filter?

Terranovation

How tight do you do up your oil filter?

For me, I snug it up and then back it off slightly, so I know it's made contact with the gasket but not so tight that I won't be able to get it off. I know you are supposed to tighten it until it makes contact then go around again 3/4 but to me that's over doing it.

I put clean oil on the top surface of the seal area, spin it on until it makes initial contact with the cleaned block ( yes, I wipe it down with my last clean rag) tighten it with just my fingers and then snug it another 1/2 turn with my wrist.... which works out to tight-enough-to remove-with-difficulty when you change it..... unless you're using Mobil1 filters.... in which case 1 full turn after initial contact, no more than that.

I put clean oil on the top surface of the seal area, spin it on until it makes initial contact with the cleaned block ( yes, I wipe it down with my last clean rag) tighten it with just my fingers and then snug it another 1/2 turn with my wrist.... which works out to tight-enough-to remove-with-difficulty when you change it..... unless you're using Mobil1 filters.... in which case 1 full turn after initial contact, no more than that.

I do pretty much the same thing.

Yup, same here as well

I just did my second oil change on my wd21. I pull the new gasket off and lube it up and put it back on the filter, clean the mating surface with a rag, fill the filter about 1/3 with oil then just hand tighten it on.

When I did my first oil change on it I didn't clean the surface at all, just removed the old and slapped the new on. It didn't leak even though it was probably a pretty dirty seal(I couldn't see what the hell I was doing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lube the gasket with a drop or two of oil then tighten it until it makes good contact (starts to snug) then I crank it another 1/4 turn

THIS

Has been the standard since the dawn of time.

I always check and make sure the old gasket came off with the filter and that's it. Mounting surface should never have been dirty to start with.

You clean it for the same reason you clean any sealing surface, to ensure a good seal. There should be no reason a head gasket surface is dirty, but I still clean it.

I also spray off anywhere the oil dripped, like cross members, with brake cleaner, and starters with contact cleaner. It's a habit I got in to prevent cars from coming back. Otherwise people complain that it leaks after you worked on it, when it's really the fluid dripping off of things. I do the same with all the fluids.

According to whoever was the jackass that put mine on; turn the damn thing so tight nobody else can get the damn thing off.

That's when you need the screwdriver removal technique

I thought you meant the screwdriver technique like on a diesel. Puncture the filter to let the oil drain out, since there is about a quart in there. That way when you tilt the filter to pull it out, oil doesn't spill everywhere.