2001 SE 3.5 Idling issue...

ChemExposure

I wasn't really planning on posting about my idling issue since my vehicle has the code for a faulty knock sensor and I've already ordered it and am going to replace it soon, but I figure it might be something else causing it as well. When it idles it doesn't necessarily stick to one specific RPM, and it seems to have huge drops from 500rpm down to 100rpm randomly, sometimes even shutting the engine off. It does seem sorta like the vehicle shudders when it's at lower RPMs, but when it shuts off it's just off. No shuddering or anything. The lights in the vehicle will dim but all of the lights will turn on after like in test mode when the vehicle starts up. One interesting thing that I've noticed just now which is kinda why I'm posting this, if I pump the brake pedal while it's in park, it idles perfectly at 800-900 RPM. No jumping or nothing, so that's kinda making me think it's something other than the knock sensor. I will be putting in a new fuel filter, but the one on there isn't too old so I doubt that'd be the cause.

I'm going to be researching this for a while, but if you have anything you can tell me about the issue I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last year I had an idle fluctuation problem on my 02 pathfinder and it ended up being the ECM. I took it to the shop and they said for a new ECM and instal it would be around 1800$. So I ended up sending it to get rebuilt for 250$ and now it runs like a champ.

Hmm, well if it's the ECM that's not going to be good. Did the company who rebuilt it say anything about what they did? I'm quite good at frankensteining electronics back to life so I wouldn't mind getting a broken ECM from pick n pull and taking that apart to see what went wrong. Maybe I could end up making a DIY ECM fixing tutorial while I'm at it, who knows.

Oftentimes ECM's don't really just die on their own but rather a short occurs in something stupid like a sensor harness, so just replacing an ECM without knowing why it went bad isn't really something I want to do.

Edited by ChemExposure

I hear ya... they really didn't explain what was wrong or what they fixed but if you want to give them a call I know it was called circuit board medics it's a place out of South Carolina and the turn around was very quick as well.

• 2 years later...