Best time to visit USA? :)

DJDESI

Hey all,

I was wondering when is the best time to visit the USA? Will land in Chicago and eventually make my way to Los Angeles and fly out to Manila. 30-35 days long road trip.

Places I would love to visit are:

New York

Washington DC

Chicago

New Orleans

Miami

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Ohh and Mojave :P

Whats the best and the cheapest possible way of traveling within the country? Will not be flying within the country. I wanna see your beautiful country and experience the local stuff. Camping and trekking too. When do you guyz go for offroading?

Better to buy a cheapass car and do a road trip? what should be the budget for a vehicle? Can a foreigner own a car?

Any ideas, suggestions and advice is really appreciated :)

Regards,

DJ

June would be a good time, should give you pretty good weather in all the places you go.

I think your best bet might be to rent a car.

You need an address in the state you buy the car to register it.

• Like 1

I hate traveling too fast. The US is so diverse each state is literally like a different country. I see you don't have any Southern States on your list... Don't break down in the North East and expect any help, rudest place I've ever been in my life. Went to Pittsburg I walked 10 miles down an interstate after bursting a fuel line in 98 degree weather, walked past a police officer. Had to rent a screwdriver from an untrusting service station.... Bought my fuel hose and walked passed the same cop and nearly got run over fifty times.

I crossed into Virginia and friendly folks everywhere.

You can't break down in Western Ky because it causes a traffic jam with all the people trying to help you.

I avoid northern states now. Lol. My wife always wanted to visit those places, I hope she enjoys it without me.

June is your best bet.

• Like 1

You should try to go to a Baseball game while you are in the country. You can see the Great Smoky Mountains while travelling in the south. Hoover dam while in Vegas.

I see you are not coming to the Northwest. Crater lake in Oregon, Mount St. Helen's in Washington, Glacier park in Montana, Yellowstone in Wyoming are all great places to see, especially for hiking and camping. To me, that would be much more interesting than going to the big cities.

• Like 1

June would be a good time, should give you pretty good weather in all the places you go.

I was planning around end of June or first week of July. Hope to catch 4th of July :) Love how people fall in love with their country. Respects <3

Visit AZ! One of the most diverse states in the US in terms of geography and wildlife.

Its definitely on the list... Just checking out the awesome places :)

I hate traveling too fast. The US is so diverse each state is literally like a different country. I see you don't have any Southern States on your list...

Ouch, that must have been a horrible experience. Am so sorry to hear that. I hope and pray I dont have any breakdowns. Over here in Qatar, I drive comfortably on sand dunes knowing and having a peace of mind that someone is always around and willing to help and offer support.

But still... what do I do if it stops in the middle of nowhere in USA? I dunno anyone lol :P Will trust in humanity and keep my hopes alive :)

You should try to go to a Baseball game while you are in the country. You can see the Great Smoky Mountains while travelling in the south. Hoover dam while in Vegas.

I see you are not coming to the Northwest. Crater lake in Oregon, Mount St. Helen's in Washington, Glacier park in Montana, Yellowstone in Wyoming are all great places to see, especially for hiking and camping. To me, that would be much more interesting than going to the big cities.

Baseball and American Football for sure. I never actually understood why its called Football, you guyz hold the ball and run lol. Would love to attend atleast one in person :)

US is 50 states country and each one is different. Its like traveling to 50 countries at the same time. Thank you so much for all the valuable suggestions you have shared so far.

The list of places and things to do is increasing and so far its:

New York

Washington DC

Chicago

New Orleans

Houston

Miami

San Francisco

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Arizona

Georgia

I will try to go through them and their surroundings but surely its a huge country and one cannot do justice if you just drive through them. Will go slowly and enjoy the places, its people and the yummiliciously delicious food.

So I did some googling.

A rental car (Kia Rio) is around 1500 for 29 days I think

Gas (petrol as we call it in Qatar) is around 300$

Any other ideas n suggestions are more than welcome :)

Regards,

DJ

you won't be able to watch any football in June, it doesn't start until late August. I don't mean to be a downer but you named some pretty rough places on your list, security and awareness of your surroundings should be paramount in Chicago, DC, New York and New Orleans. The French Quarter in New Orleans is interesting from an architectural and historical point of view but it's filthy and it stinks. And is one of the highest murder rates in the US along with Chicago. DC is actually located in a pretty rough area as well. I live in Houston and I don't even want to go to see those places.

If you're interested in the Colonial period, the birth of our nation, Boston would be a nice place to go, I don't hear too much bad stuff about that city. The really beautiful places are in Utah, Oregon, Washington, Arizona.

It just depends what you're into. If it's the broad sweeping, breathtaking vistas, then the northwest is the place to be, and Seattle is nice too, actually (good social scene here too, underground tour is very interesting also. Thomas P Crapper). For social or historical commentary, that's going to be more in the east coast, which for me is sketchy all the way up and down the eastern seaboard. My brother in law just immigrated from the Philippines to Salisbury, Maryland and that seems to be a nice place so far so he got lucky.

If you're going to California, I would avoid Los Angeles all together, and stick to San Diego, drive highway 1 through San Jose, Cambria, Carmel, you can tour the Hurst castle. Hwy 1 is insane, curvy rd with sheer cliff drop offs on one side and steep rising cliff above you on the other. San Fransisco isn't so bad either. You can drive down Lombard st and see Alcatraz from the Golden Gate Bridge.

If you ever saw the movie Close Encounters of the Third kind, you know that Devil's Tower that Richard Dryfuss builds in his living room? Well, it's real and you can go see it, it's in Rapid City Wyoming. Go to Sedona Arizona and hike to one of the multiple mystical energy vortex that some claim are the earth's magnetic ley lines and native american indians use to hold rituals with in them. Sedona is flat out gorgeous.

Good luck and be careful PLEASE!

Edited by gv280z
  • Like 1

Some very interesting views here :)

I leave my car doors and windows open and sometimes even forget to close my house door at night and during the day, they are open anyways. Nothing goes missing or no one ever dares to take a peep or enter. Its rare to see people having an argument. Someone finds a lost wallet or a phone, it ends up in a police station or shop nearby cuz someone will come back looking for it. I feel safe and secure. Being a Pakistani born in an Arab country, I might be stereotyped with guns and stuff, but I have never ever held a gun or even seen one in real life apart from one time traveling where it was pointed at me :P

Will be extra cautious and use extra common sense and avoid such places but for the most part, world is a beautiful place and its people are amazing. Will still trust in humanity.

I am interested in anything and everything a place has to offer so nothing specific.

Might get a chance to visit Comicon but I also wanna go to SEMA which is in October.

I hope my visa comes through in time so I can actually prepare and start booking stuff. I get a 90% off for a to and fro flight to the USA which will save plenty of funds. If I had the visa already, I would have flown to USA, picked up the parts my self and back to Qatar while still saving a few extra dollars. You all know the story from my build thread lol :P

Really appreciate your concerns though and thank you for the advice. Will try to be careful :)

Regards,

DJ

Some very interesting views here :)

I leave my car doors and windows open and sometimes even forget to close my house door at night and during the day, they are open anyways. Nothing goes missing or no one ever dares to take a peep or enter. Its rare to see people having an argument. Someone finds a lost wallet or a phone, it ends up in a police station or shop nearby cuz someone will come back looking for it. I feel safe and secure.

Regards,

DJ

I'm sorry but this is a fantasy here, there is no place you can do this, except maybe Montana or Wyoming where it is only the cows, wolves or bears that will assault you.

• Like 1

Yep. Even in my neck of the woods (which is literally woods, think Burt Reynolds in Deliverance) there is such a high unemployment rate, theft and drug crime is rampant.

Don't get me wrong, I still travel and I don't live in fear but use common sense. Don't leave your billfold in the dashboard at a rest stop or leave a car running outside a gas station. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. Don't give them a wide open opportunity and all your stuff stays yours.

Edited by LittleFR
  • Like 1

I'm in the middle of nowhere Washington and I've seen people leave cars running at the post office. Things do get stolen from time to time (we do have tweakers) but it's usually stuff closer to town, and stuff that hasn't moved in a while. Still, especially in an area you don't know, lock up when you park.