Building an engine for the Turbocharged Pathfinder

snowboard419

Wow. That sucks. I don't know what would cause that, other than a defect with the new pump or something getting sucked into it. Maybe it wasn't tempered properly? At least the damage is limited to the pump.

It was the hitachi brand off of rock auto which they listed as the oem mfg. I ordered a different brand to replace it. Still not sure if it was the pump or the installer, just glad the pump was the only damage.

New pump should be here early next week so hopefully we will be up and running next weekend.

Well it was good that the engine did not make oil pressure pushing all those broken bits through the engine (oil filter "should" catch it). Make sure that there is no damage to the crank "flats" that drive the oil pump.

BTW is the damage of the driven gear in the flat area? I recommend that you disassemble your next oil pump (even if it is new) and get a good visual on everything.

Edited by 2milehi

Yes very glad it failed the way it did, and not pump a bunch of crud through the engine. I disassembled the one that blew chunks( may or may not have contributed to the failure ). I will definitely disassemble and test fit once I find a pump that does not show up in the mail like this

Sent from the twilight zone

So I got the new, new ,new oil pump in the mail the other day went ahead and took it apart and glad I did, the gears felt crunchy and found out they had not been deburred properly and were hanging up on the housing, I took the gears to some fine emory cloth on a nice flat surface to lap the surface to an acceptable finish. Getting new parts that are not worth a @!*% is starting to get very annoying :headwall:

I have since gotten it installed, had oil to the filter in about 10-20 second crank, oil to the turbo another 20 sec or so. Turned on the fuel, plugged in the coil and nothing. :shrug:

Repaired the damaged connector for the crank sensor and IT LIVES. :wiggle: . Had it running for about 10 min or so, running really good, no leaks, as it warmed up it stalled out but I did not have all the sensors hooked up, or the intake piping, tank is on empty, have not made any adjustments to the tuning etc. So im not worried. Still have a bunch of crap to bolt on before it is mobile but it is running. :D

• Like 3

Can you list the three part numbers of oil pumps you bought, so we can not have to go through the same trouble you did? RA has a rock (haha) solid return policy so it's not that big of a deal, it's just all the lost time of your project sitting there waiting...

• Like 2

So over the weekend I have gotten everything put together and finally able to hit the street. And my butt dyno is happy. I have the boost turned down about as low as I can and it is still a completely different beast .

• Like 3

What injectors are you using. I had read it was impossible to get big injectors for the stock fuel rail in a turbo application. Has that changed?

It is running subie 370cc side feed injectors iirc, the injectors came from the original build

You sure that the yellow top STI injectors aren't in there?

That is right, I found some 300ZX injectors. Been doing different cars through the years and don't remember exactly what I put where.

That is right, I found some 300ZX injectors on ebay for the Pathfinder. Been doing different cars through the years and don't remember exactly what I put where.

Edited by 2milehi

Can you list the three part numbers of oil pumps you bought, so we can not have to go through the same trouble you did? RA has a rock (haha) solid return policy so it's not that big of a deal, it's just all the lost time of your project sitting there waiting...

HITACHI OUP0020

Enginetech EP060

The Hitachi gernaded upon first crank, the first enginetech came damaged, the second came and needed some deburring on the gears and is also now leaking(details to follow)

Is this a single or dual turbo application and what kind of boost are you planning? Thanks for the info I may use this in the future.

Single at 4 psi now, plan to run around 10 once I get a wideband to monitor afr's.

Edited by snowboard419

So here is an update on the project. I have almost 200 miles on the rebuild now, running at about 4 psi boost and this thing is an absolute blast to drive even at the low boost level it really wakes this engine up. I have been playing with the tuning a bit to clean up the idle and part/no throttle cruise range and have ordered a wideband o2 kit to make sure the tuning is good to turn up the boost.

But my effing oil pump is leaking, :ar15::headwall::headwall::headwall::doh::P:pullhair:(i could not find enough emoji's to demonstrate my frustration)

After first getting it going I had a moderate oil leak that looked like it was powersteering, the pump was making a little noise no big deal because I have extra parts lying around. Tonight I pull it in the garage to pin down my leak (which is getting worse) and found it leaking out of the pressed in welsh plug in the side of the oil pump. I can barely access the the plug to attempt a repair without having to remove the oil pump. Updates to come. :suicide:

I have barely enough room to attempt a repair, my thoughts are to customize a punch to flare the plug, remove and replace plug and add sealant, any ideas??

So I have ground a socket down to perfectly fit the plug and whacked it with a bfh. I also had to cut one of the bolts for the power steering mount to get access. And it is still leaking. So I ran down to the local gettin spot and got some of the fanciest highest temp, high tensile strength epoxy a man can get at 9pm on a saturday. Cleaned up the hole and schmucked it in. :broken: There will be an update tomorrow.

• Like 1