Replacing door handle--words of wisdom

maaakaaa

I finally had a day off in a warmer day and got my driver side exterior door handle replaced. Midway through I got stuck on connecting the little rod to the handle and had to do some internet research. Since what helped me was on other sites, I thought I would share it here.

To connect the clip on the handle to the L-shaped rod you have to leave the rod's base still inserted in the lower piece and push the top of it through the hole to the outside of the door (Thanks to http://www.answers.com/mobile/Q/How_do_you_replace_the_outside_door_handle_of_a_1995_Pathfinder#ixzz1M0hz1lff).It is so easy! I thought I had tried every way to do it, but didn't think of this.

Also, this thread (http://www.nissanforums.com/hb-truck/203978-exterior-door-handle-replacement.html#/topics/203978?page=2&_k=frp6wl) has some great pictures of the pieces and what to expect inside your door.

By the way, my door handle (Delo brand, I think) was about $5 on Amazon. We shall see how it holds up. I think I feel a little more flex in it than in the OEM one.

I've broken 2 door handles, trying to open the door when it was frozen shut. For the uninitiated, if it's below zero outside, don't yank on those plastic door handles!!!

My passenger door doesn't work at all anymore. The little plastic parts are all wrecked. Another thing in the very long list lol

Somewhere on the forum and YouTube one of the members has a video showing how all the little rods and clips in the door work. It should be quite helpful when you are ready to dig into it.

I've always pulled the latch rod out with the door handle, install it on the new handle then carefully reinstall it, I did one this morning it took about 45 mins.

I did spend 17 years working on Datsun /Nissan products