Anyone run these tires?

RCWD21

Does anyone run either the General Grabber AT2's or the Falken Wildpeak A/TW3's in a 33x12.5r15 or similar size?

Trying to decide on tires for when I upgrade wheels and tires after I wear down my toyo open country 31's and was hoping to find someone on here with real world experience in sand, sandy mud and loose pack earth mostly, along with road noise (not a huge concern with noise but just curious). Thanks in advance

Sent from inside my potato

• Like 1

They're very pricey but the bfg at ko is a great tire. Looks great and still performs well and still last longer and ride really good. But they are so $$$

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My dad has the bfgs on his d21 and my mom has them on her durango but for the size tire I'm after they're just a bit too rich for my blood.

Plus the 2 brands in my first post are snowflake approved as I plan on driving from eastern NC to Northern Ohio and most of that journey is in the mountains and snowy areas.

Regarding the General: xoverland.com ran 2 overland series with the grabber AT2 starting up in Alaska and heading all the way down to central America. 2 overland trips on those tires should attest to their quality. General tire is one of their sponsors also, but I would say they put them to the test.

Price-wise, the General is less than the BFG, I don't believe there are too many differences. I'd run the AT2 if they came in the size I plan to purchase next.

I have always liked the look of the General AT2 and always viewed that as a potential buy, it was 2nd runner up on my short list way back when I bought my Cooper AT3s (awesome tire). I know you didn't ask about the Cooper but it was fantastic, I mudded it, sand, beach, rain, never got stuck with it, but I also never buried my truck to the axles in mud or sand either.

I looked at the coopers too but here in eastern NC we've got what we call sugar sand and it's like a powder, it's a little better after its lightly rained and all packed down a bit but it's a PITA sometimes. When there's a lot of rain it gets soupy and sticky so it's almost worse than regular mud. That's why I'm leaning towards the general grabbers because they seems to self clean better than the coopers. I have plenty of time to decide and save up for them so the more I can hear about them in the real world the better.

I like the buckshot II's. And the new Mastercraft MXTs.

Given the two options though I would go with Generals. I bet I've owned 30 sets of their tires and they are predictable and perform well.

Edited by LittleFR

• 3 weeks later...

I've also eyed but never bought the AT2. Maybe check out the off-road Subaru site. I've done some browsing on there and the AT2 is one of the few all-terrain tires made small enough for Subarus, so they are well represented on there.

If you are considering the Cooper AT3, keep the Mastercraft AXT in mind. Very similar, but more angular tread, and made by Cooper. I bought them for my Passport when I had it and really liked them.

Avoid the BFGs anyways, as people have been reporting a bunch of sidewall blowouts recently at highway speeds

Yeah I have the Bfg's & had the sidewalls on two different tires blow out on me at different times actually I take that back it was 3 times the last time was in the middle of nowhere in Montana during a nice blizzard in freezing tempatures fun stuff. Besides from the blowouts though they have been great tires but the blowouts certainly have me steering away from buying them again when time comes for new ones.

Sorry off the topic for a quick second but wanted to say I will be hitting you & MaaaKaaa up I am just figuring out my plan of action with everything which may be changing & might buy another wd21 & continue to work on my 95 as well so I still have one to drive & then I can put the full attention to getting my 95 running like she should. Also thank you both for offering up your help as well I do rally appreciate that..

• Like 1

Seems to be I'm not getting notifications on many of my posts but I've tied it up to the General Grabber AT2's and the Cooper/Mastercraft tires. Now to just get everything ready to accept the new larger tires and wheels.

• 1 month later...

I've have the Falken Wildpeak atw3 that's a 32/10.5/15 and it's a awesome tire. Have ran them since may 2016 and they are great in mud,sand,rocky trails and recently in Birmingham we had sleet and ice and was blown away with the grip. Plus at $125 a tire, I couldn't pass them up

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been running General AT2'S for over 3 years (~35k miles) now, on my 01, still have more than half tread, noise is about on par with an aggressive AT tire, traction has been and continues to be great. Dry pavement, deep snow, soft sand and slushy snot, they really shine. Good on wet pavement, hard packed dirt, gravel and better than most AT'S in mud. I love em and apparently won't be wearing them out anytime soon.

Just put Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my Suburban in November. Seems to be a great tire for the price. Does very well in snow, too. I've only done limited "off roading" in them (on the Mt. Lemmon trail in Tucson over Thanksgiving week) but they did very well, even though I didn't air them down (which I should have.) I was going to get BFG AT KO2s but the Wildpeak just seemed to be a better deal - saved me almost $200.

FWIW size I am running on the 'Burb is 285/75/16, just a hair under 33".

Edited by Martinjmpr

I'm sure some of you remember my ranting hatred for the previous Falken "All Terrain Tire" the Rocky Mountain and the design flaw within those tires, but this new one, looks ok to me, I would definitely give this tire a chance. Looks pretty good.