Deer versus Grill Guard

PamPoovey

Tomorrow, I will be buying a 2002 Pathy and I was once dead set on getting a grill guard to protect my truck from deer (I will be moving to Ohio in 2 weeks) and then I've come across different opinions, but not from a Pathy owner. I wish it came with one, but it was hard enough finding one that was stick shift!!!!

So I wonder if any of you that have the grill guards and hit a deer how things turned out.

If you would recommend such, which brand, and is it one I can install myself or better off having a speciality truck store do it?

Sure, I love the look of the grill guard and always wanted one for my 95 Pathy, but if it's better off just for looks, then I shall hold off on getting one.

Thank you in advance!

A grille guard is generally unsuitable to protect the body from front-end damage caused by hitting a deer. In most cases, in more minor impacts, grille guards can do more damage, because they will bend into the upper grille and hood. Grille guards are primarily for looks, but can withstand impacts from stray shopping carts, and make good places to mount auxiliary lights.

I hit a deer with a bull bar once... It totally destroyed the front end of my truck. If I hadn't had the push bar it would have maybe just got a headlight and grill.

If it's not a heavy duty bumper modified off an XJ or something... I would just run it stock.

I will never buy a brushguard or bull bar again, waste of money.

Congrats on getting the pathy though!!

Wish I had found a manual as nice as my auto.

Edited by LittleFR

Thank you very much for the helpful information!

Thanks about the congratulations! Finding a manual wasn't easy (4x4 was easier to come by), I had been looking seriously for two months and I wanted one that hasn't experienced a winter snow -and I found it in a Spokane dealership whom bought it in Cali.I'm flying to Spokane (on Tuesday) to finalise the paperwork, hand over the remainder of the money, and drive it back to Vegas...and in a week, drive it to Ohio...

I used my roo-bar to tie ropes to when I was rappelling out in New Mexico. Also worked well for running through brush but when it comes to impacting something of size, they do more damage than not. Go big or go without.

• Like 1