LED Headlights? (no, not just bulbs)

microfiz

I just recently installed a light bar on my truck and was amazed at the added brightness and lack of light cut-off that the bar produced (compared to my halogen head lights). I don't drive with them on (I only plan to when it's absolutely necessary) because I think it may be too bright. On the other hand, I love the performance and would like my stock headlights to create the same level of illumination. I wonder if these would work (see link)... I understand that fitment could be an issue, but I'm more concerned about blinding people with it. Anyone tried these yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PC-4-x-6-15-LED-CLEAR-LIGHT-BEAM-HEADLIGHT-HEAD-LAMPS-24V-45W-2700LM-P7-/191999445632?fits=Year%3A1993|Make%3ANissan|Model%3APathfinder&hash=item2cb40f0a80:g:WX4AAOSw-CpYBVJ1&vxp=mtr

p5pb14157979.jpg

I just recently installed a light bar on my truck and was amazed at the added brightness and lack of light cut-off that the bar produced (compared to my halogen head lights). I don't drive with them on (I only plan to when it's absolutely necessary) because I think it may be too bright. On the other hand, I love the performance and would like my stock headlights to create the same level of illumination. I wonder if these would work (see link)... I understand that fitment could be an issue, but I'm more concerned about blinding people with it. Anyone tried these yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PC-4-x-6-15-LED-CLEAR-LIGHT-BEAM-HEADLIGHT-HEAD-LAMPS-24V-45W-2700LM-P7-/191999445632?fits=Year%3A1993|Make%3ANissan|Model%3APathfinder&hash=item2cb40f0a80:g:WX4AAOSw-CpYBVJ1&vxp=mtr

p5pb14157979.jpg

Post a night shot.

Not DOT rated, so not legal for use on public roads in the US. Also I doubt there's any kind of cutoff for the low beam, so, yes, likely blinding.

I've seen conversion housings you can get that run the H4 halogen bulbs in that same style of lens. DOT rated, just about bolt-on if you pick up a Hardbody grille and buckets. I've read good things about them. You can also get proper DOT rated LED headlights in the same sealed-beam size but they're ludicrously expensive and IMO ugly as hell.

For the lightbar, when I wired my driving lights, I used the high beam lead from the headlight switch as the + source for the switch. That way the driving lights only work when the high beams are on. Switch to low beam because there's a car in the other lane and the driving lights go off as well. Saves you having to work two switches at once to avoid blinding people.

Here's the OEM light at low beam:

p4pb14196397.jpg

With the $24 light bar:

p4pb14196396.jpg

Periphery with OEM light:

p4pb14196395.jpg

Periphery with LED:

p4pb14196394.jpg

I think illuminating the periphery and increasing contrast is where the most benefit is with the LED light bar.

With my light bar I only use it on the road if I'm on a really dark back road where there's no street lights. I find it much brighter than even the high beam so I don't have it wired with the high beam. I use the light bar instead of the high beam. It's illegal in Australia to use them on sealed roads, they are for off road use only but at 3am on a really dark road it's almost a necessity. I had someone come towards me with a light bar once, they can blind you. All you see for the next 2 minutes is a row of bright dots.

• Like 1

The light quality is much better. Double the lumens of our standard headlights. Standard is like 900 for low beam and 1500-2000 for high beam. These led lights are 1500 low beam and 3200 high beam. I got the grill on eBay. Came with the grill and corner lights for $80 including shipping. Had to buy hardbody headlight buckets as well. All of it literally bolts in. Waiting on the bumper brackets to put on chrome bumper as well

• Like 1

The light quality is much better. Double the lumens of our standard headlights. Standard is like 900 for low beam and 1500-2000 for high beam. These led lights are 1500 low beam and 3200 high beam. I got the grill on eBay. Came with the grill and corner lights for $80 including shipping. Had to buy hardbody headlight buckets as well. All of it literally bolts in. Waiting on the bumper brackets to put on chrome bumper as well

Thanks for the info. Are you doing a write-up of your conversion soon? Can you share info on your eBay purchase too?

Yes I will put it together this weekend when I take it off to put the new bumper on and I will list all the parts and links to them on eBay if that is allowed. I need to take some pics as well.

• Like 1

IMO, Stick a Race Sport Gen 2 LED kit in your headlights and be done with it. Then you can actually have a DOT cutoff and be legal. Did that over a year ago, and would do it again.

Edited by RIPB.88

• 2 weeks later...

Those GENSSI style LED headlight housings are garbage. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/finally-perfect-l-e-d-headlights-cherokee-xjs-200299/

The proper way to have LED headlights is to swap to a hard body front end, and buy these https://www.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAWK-Rectangular-Replacement-Headlamp/dp/B00BQX2BSO

I just retrofitted the factory lenses with HID bulbs and they work great.

I'm also a big believer in light bars. Once you see with the illumination of the light bar your headlights, whether LED, HID or other will never match up.

WP_20161211_002_zpsyxuaxvu9.jpg

Edited by PathfinderJA

I just retrofitted the factory lenses with HID bulbs and they work great.

I'm also a big believer in light bars. Once you see with the illumination of the light bar your headlights, whether LED, HID or other will never match up.

WP_20161211_002_zpsyxuaxvu9.jpg

It's just a shame we can't use them on the road. Even if we angle it down, away from the oncoming vehicles, the road authorities still say it's illegal and only for offroad use.

Yes indeed, it's too bad. Even in the day, when i'm feeling flashy, I have people indicate they are blinding them. So it's only for emergencies or if someone refuses to dip their high beams and you need to make them aware of what high beam really means. I drive with the mini ones all the time though, but I point them more down to the road instead of straight ahead. I also angle them slight away from oncoming traffic. I think that woks as I don't get flashed very often for those.

Yes indeed, it's too bad. Even in the day, when i'm feeling flashy, I have people indicate they are blinding them. So it's only for emergencies or if someone refuses to dip their high beams and you need to make them aware of what high beam really means. I drive with the mini ones all the time though, but I point them more down to the road instead of straight ahead. I also angle them slight away from oncoming traffic. I think that woks as I don't get flashed very often for those.

I like using the led bar when someone cuts in front of me dangerously. When they get blinded they learn a lesson in safety.

That is how I typically correct a dangerous situation... Just pour gasoline on it by blinding everybody too.

And that's why I hate light bars.

I do like LED headlights as long as they have a proper low beam.

The last person who flashed an LED bar at me got a report to the police as a drunk driver. Doesn't matter if it is true or not, they still follow up on it. ;)

All the mall crawlers around here with the lifted and squatted trucks run light bars all the time. When I finish my pathfinder I want to see how many I can actually get to go off road just to watch then get stuck as I crawl right on through the simple stuff :) most of them think a gravel road is off roading and mudding (I don't personally like mudding, it tears up seals way too quick). I could go on and on about the "all show - no go" crowd...

Sent from inside my potato

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I actually installed some really inexpensive chinese 42 Led bar... less than 80$ (including shipment), and some inexpensive chinese led headers bulb (H4 with High and low beam) for about 20$ the couple. They both work great... basically you have almost daylight with full on. I wouldn't use the bar on road as I also kinda hate to be blinded. However they were extremely useful during a dark night to find the path. Led has the advantage of being extremely durable, they also provide an incredible amount of lumen compared to energy spent, and china is making them being really inexpensive and easy to install. I think took less than hour to wire everything, all material included.